Background Plotting Colour

Hi everyone,

Hopefully this isn't too daft a question...

I've been asked to now PDF our drawings with a faint yellow background to aid readability for people with dyslexia.

I know how to change the paperspace background colour  via options/drafting/colours but this seems to only affect the visual appearance within CAD, so when PDFed it reverts to a transparent / default white background.

Googling around I can't see another setting anywhere, but may well be missing something. And I've had a look in the PDF plotter options to see if there is anything in there but had no luck.

I've also looked at options within Abode Pro as well but there doesn't appear to be a simple setting that will alter the PDF itself rather than the user's settings. 

I guess there is always the sledgehammer option of a big light yellow hatch but I am wondering if anyone knew of a better approach within CAD.

Any pointers/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Phil

See this article. It's not about plotting PDFs with color but about changing the viewer itself. Not to be insensitive, but it makes more sense to me for the differently abled to use the accessibility options that are available and adjust them to their needs. Inevitably you'll have a user who needs another background, and there's no way to accommodate everyone.

I had a problem wanting to make a black background for some text I wanted to print. I ended up using a background mask.

The problem is now your wasting ink better option buy yellow paper.

Edited by Berzerker

The yellow hatch is your best option.

Don't feel like it is a daft question.  I remember several years ago one poster wanted the forum to tell him how to print white on black paper.  I don't think reality ever did dawn on the poor guy, bless his heart.

Thought why not have a go so this was a rectang hatch solid and set to yellow, set draworder back. The only thing was had to set a transparency to the yellow a RGB yellow would be better. I created in Bricscad, it made a pdf  and don't have any one to get feed back from but very easy to do. Also play with transparency.

image.png.e2030d9884be81c250be454b1d5ecaec.png

19 hours ago, Dana W said:

The yellow hatch is your best option.

Don't feel like it is a daft question.  I remember several years ago one poster wanted the forum to tell him how to print white on black paper.  I don't think reality ever did dawn on the poor guy, bless his heart.

Yeah this is where ran into my problem. There is no such thing a white ink in a printer. Funny story, I bought my Dad his first computer when he was in his 60's. One of the first questions he asked was how do I change the ink in the monitor.

I still think it would be cheaper to buy colored paper and if it's only on certain parts of the  paper then a background mask is the way to go.

Edited by Berzerker

Try it on colored paper, the results may not be good. Some colored paper is too absorbent for printer ink.  Inkjet ink will soak in and darken on colored paper.  Black should be ok, but any other color will be affected.  Laser ink is better since it tends to build up on the paper.

Now I'll agree there might need to be some testing on ink and type of paper. My thought was ink costs more than paper.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses!

Ah, I should've mentioned that these PDFs are for plans which will only every be viewed electronically... they'll never be printed. 

I agree with Cyberangel that these things are best chosen by the individual user; however, it's an institutional preference to set them to a light yellow background by default as they're viewed on shared terminals used by multiple individuals.  

The hatching proved to be a bit of a faff with the way the drawings are set up. Turns out there is a way to do it via the background settings within Adode Acrobat Pro.

Phil

Acrobat Reader can change the background color as well. Go to Edit>Preferences>Accessibility. 

P.S.

That information was in the link provided by CyberAngel.