Introducing... Dark Mode

CADTutor

All members (i.e. anyone with a post count of 10 or greater) now have access to a new theme here at the CADTutor forum. This has been a long-time request, and now it's here!

In the footer of every page, eligible members will see a "Theme" link that allows a choice of the default CADTutor theme or the new Dark Mode theme. Simply choose the one you prefer. The forum will remember your choice until you change it. Try it out and let me know what you think 🙂

1987569944_HomepageDarkMode.png.823a5cfe804fc7853832cde8cbcdd170.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Very cool!

Will be using that.

You guys can also apply dark themes in firefox and chrome.

There are also dark options for windows that make everything kind of jive with the new cadtutor dark theme lol.

So recommend that.

-ChriS

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BIGAL said:

I actually prefer std mode.

Well, Dark Mode isn't compulsory 😄

Some people seem to like using Standard Mode during the day and Dark Mode in the evening. The best thing is, now there's a choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm usually a big fan of Dark Modes.  I think the green shades in the standard mode are still my preference.  I'm sure dark mode will fit others choices better  !  Thanks  - David

You should be aware that if you are copying/pasting, or quoting posts, from Dark Mode it can be rendered oddly when viewed in normal mode.

We have come across this on another forum running the same Invision forum software version.

For example in some cases you can end up with white text which is fine in Dark Mode but which of course can't be seen against the white background of normal mode.

So you can look in normal mode and see a quotebox that looks empty - because the quoted text has been rendered as white.

It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nukecad said:

You should be aware that if you are copying/pasting, or quoting posts, from Dark Mode it can be rendered oddly when viewed in normal mode.

That will happen if the user sets the text colour using the editor colour picker. But providing text is not explicitly coloured, it will change with the theme.

Hi Dave,

The point I was trying to make, we've seen it happen when the user hasn't changed anything from standard, just copied/pasted (or quoted) something from elsewhere.

I can't give you a workable link to this post because it's from the private 'staff' area of the CCleaner forum, but it shows it happening.
There is actually bold black 'standard' text, in that first 'box' when viewed in normal mode, but in dark mode the forum renders it as white on white.

Investigating further the source HTML shows the text colour specified as: 'color:var(--c9)'
So because the text colour is called as a variable the Invision software has changed the 'standard' text colour to render as white for viewing in dark mode, but it hasn't changed the background because that is specified as 'background-color:#ffffff' and not as a variable.
The second text is specificallly set to 'color:#475576' and so isn't automatically changed for dark mode. The background is also specified as #ffffff.

image.thumb.png.274cf2a9adef4389c5f3858fcd84fc8f.png

The original poster said:

I think this is because I copy+pasted from a different screen and there is a colour text block background instead of 'default background'.

I believe that he had composed it in a word processor and then copied/pasted it into the forum editor.

As I said above it doesn't happen often but can happen if you copy/paste something from elsewhere and so get a mixture of specific colour settings and variables.
It's just something to be aware of, especially if you use a word processor to compose your posts.

For comparison here is the original post in normal mode:

image.thumb.png.a4302d2b11dc34f1783bfbe147aaa5a9.png

• Thanks 1

Yep, that is also a potential problem. The editor is a "rich text" editor, so it will try to match the formating of any cut and pasted text, leading to the problem you have identified above. There is a solution to this problem. In the editor settings (forum admin area) the action for paste can be set to "plain text" or it's possible to allow the user to remove formatting as an option. I'm currently looking at these settings and may make some changes shortly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CADTutor said:

it's possible to allow the user to remove formatting as an option.

We have that 'paste as plain text' user option enabled over there at CCleaner. (Plus a similar user option for embedded/textline only links).

I usually select 'paste as plain text' everytime it asks, and then redo any formating required in the post editor itself.

It needs to be selected for each paste that you make, and of course the user may not use it because their already formatted 'paste' may look fine in the Theme that they are using.

PS. We have had this Invision version over there since last August, and we (and Invision) are still tweaking the settings but not as often as we had to when it first came out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I usually select 'paste as plain text' everytime it asks, and then redo any formating required in the post editor itself.

It needs to be selected for each paste that you make, and of course the user may not use it because their already formatted 'paste' may look fine in the Theme that they are using.

That's why I'm thinking that the best admin setting may be to paste as plain text by default. That way, all pasted text look fine in all themes unless the user explicitly changes it. TBH, the need to paste pre-formatted text is an edge case (I think).

• Like 1

this is the dark theme layout in the dark theme firefox with dark theme colors in Autocad.

My vampire eyes can be at ease.

🤩

darktheme.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 9:20 AM, nukecad said:

We have come across this on another forum running the same Invision forum software version.

For example in some cases you can end up with white text which is fine in Dark Mode but which of course can't be seen against the white background of normal mode.

So you can look in normal mode and see a quotebox that looks empty - because the quoted text has been rendered as white.

It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

I've run across this in another forum too.  Some entire posts appear blank or nearly so in dark mode when black has been designated by the user in normal mode.  Work-around - highlight (left button sweep) the text area and it should be readable.

Edited by Dana W

Thanks David! I remember back in the old days when "other CAD" users made fun of Acad's native "dark mode". Acad was just OG the WHOLE time! ;)

• Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 5:10 AM, CADTutor said:

The best thing is, now there's a choice.

Wow, imagine that!

Some other big forums could take a clue from this.

Just curious, is this one of many available themes for Invision? Or was this a custom made thing?