Changing Workspace hangs AutoCad for few seconds..(same on AutoCad 2018,2020,2021)

Saqib_theleo

Hello all,

I have a little problem. I don't know if it is only happening to me, when I change my Workspace to any other workspace AutoCad hangs or freezes for few seconds (8 to 12seconds) after this it works well and smoothly. I tried Autocad 2018, 2020, 2022 same happens to all. Anyone know how to fix this problem.

Please try to change your workspace to other workspace and share your result if it happens to you too or not.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, SLW210 said:

No problems here.

Maybe graphics card and/or driver. What OS, Computer Specifications, Graphics Card, Driver, etc.?

these are general specs..

SNAG-0021.png

3 hours ago, SLW210 said:

Are you sure you are using the Nvidia and not the Intel Graphics?

yes, nvidia settings are auto selected for AutoCad in Nvidia Control panel.

SNAG-0023.png.9dda8bed84ac61477c2538dab82e06c6.png

and also within AutoCad graphics card is set to Nvidia.

SNAG-0022.png.0fb1a4359e870e5dba1eaa74084abbc2.png

it works well in 3d view 3d modeling etc. only hangs when changing workspace.

2 hours ago, Dana W said:

Doesn't happen to me either, 2021 LT, and I have an aftermarket graphics card that is a hindrance rather than a help.

ok..thanks for info.

I installed version 2021, it is freezing 4 to 5 seconds only. before I was using  version 2018.

yet any idea why this is happening?

Its not an answer to the problem but a work around. If your changing workspace and using only a few commands from the other workspace you can create a custom menu and add it to your current workspace, so no changing,  I use CIV3D and have a Custom mnu in my drafting workspace, its not every command but the ones used most often, happy to explain how.

8 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Its not an answer to the problem but a work around. If your changing workspace and using only a few commands from the other workspace you can create a custom menu and add it to your current workspace, so no changing,  I use CIV3D and have a Custom mnu in my drafting workspace, its not every command but the ones used most often, happy to explain how.

Yes, may be this is the best option for this type of issue. I should also make a custom tab next to home tab and place my desired panels and commands there.

Thanks for your reply.

2.5–2.9 GHz processor recommended minimum and you're on a laptop with 2.4 GHz.

I had weird glitches when I first used AutoCAD 2018, an older driver fixed the issues for the most part until later on I installed a new certified Autodesk driver and it worked pretty good. You might try some different drivers.

Grab Process Monitor and watch file/registry activity during this 8-12 second wait.

I bet there is some path, file, etc. that AutoCAD is asking the O/S for, and it can't find it, hence the delay.

Another quick test is to unplug the network cable, disconnect all WiFi connections, etc., and test again. If there are no network connections, Windows will not have a delay when looking for whatever. It gives up immediately. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, SLW210 said:

2.5–2.9 GHz processor recommended minimum and you're on a laptop with 2.4 GHz.

I had weird glitches when I first used AutoCAD 2018, an older driver fixed the issues for the most part until later on I installed a new certified Autodesk driver and it worked pretty good. You might try some different drivers.

but it can go up to 3.4ghz....if processor was issue then during work and 3d views should be a problem too..I'll try to some other driver and see..Thank you..

Edited by Saqib_theleo

On 6/14/2021 at 6:09 PM, rkmcswain said:

Grab Process Monitor and watch file/registry activity during this 8-12 second wait.

I bet there is some path, file, etc. that AutoCAD is asking the O/S for, and it can't find it, hence the delay.

Another quick test is to unplug the network cable, disconnect all WiFi connections, etc., and test again. If there are no network connections, Windows will not have a delay when looking for whatever. It gives up immediately. 

It shows on many files path not found, name not found, buffer overflow
most of them are C:\Windows\Fonts\marlett.ttf
registry file of "blockstate" shows error "name not found"
and many more with same errors.
I have noticed that changing workspace is not only reason of freezing. There is a little button at end of tabs where you can minimize and maximize ribbon. When it is maximized which is "show full ribbon" then Autocad freezes for some seconds and when it is minimized to any of three options it works good.

I had this problem all the time at work.  My computer could not even run AutoCAD LT 2021 with an architectural pdf attached without frequent delays, which sometimes lasted up to 30 seconds with the entire window frozen.  It is inadequate equipment, mostly the GPU.  It was a 6 year old I-5 3 ghz - 4 gig with a Quadro K2200 graphics sorta-processor.

At home I have no such problem since I RETIRED. 🤣  Even before that my home computer handled running full AutoCAD and REVIT at the same time without upsetting delays.  It is light years ahead of that old work computer.  It is built on Alien (Dell) genes.  It even has purple flying saucer lights. No I don't know REVIT yet but I am playing with it.  

Edited by Dana W