Rendering Makes My UPS Alarm Go Off

Bill Tillman

I'm working with a fairly simple 3D model of a canopy. When I render it the computer fan starts whirring like mad, but more concerning is the alarm on the UPS goes off. I'm sure if I looked into Task Manager it would show massive usage of the memory and CPU and the disk. I've been working with AutoCAD to do renderings for a long time. But never have I seen a computer drag the UPS into it's loop like this. I'm concerned that the computer will crash and I loose work so I'm very careful to save all files before rendering.

The UPS is virtually brand new. When a rendering starts it takes a few seconds but the internal fan in the computer starts revving up. The the UPS starts crying out and flashing yellow lights. It settles down within a few moments but I don't know what it will do if I set the render to run for several hours or overnight. Guess I could try that but I don't want to stop other work to test it.

That's a new one on me. I've seen older units do that when the battery starts going bad but not new ones. Is there another UPS you can try to see if it repeats this? Weird...

Sounds like the computer is getting pretty hot, pretty quick, once rendering starts. Are they plugged into the same power source?

So could be a large power draw tricking the UPS or just a bad UPS, "new doesn't mean works properly".

Should be a reset on the UPS, what UPS are you using? There used to be some trouble shooting information for false alarms on UPS in the manual, should be something you look into or just call technical support.

I have never seen a UPS do anything while I had power to the computer, they just sit there no matter how hard the computer runs.

• Like 1

I know personally of a problem about boot up of computers turn on pc1 ok, pc2 ok, pc3 no start, would not happen all the time, the answer was pc's were in a portable building with the single small power cable it could not supply enough power at times. A upgrade and no more problems.

Pc's & laptops dont draw a lot of power so its strange, maybe turn off as much as you can if in a house even lights.

Re temp just google I found a few instantly.

Edited by BIGAL