How to Move UCS and Cut Sections Through Structure

Bill Tillman

Finally got my hands on the architect's Revit model on this project. My learning curve is still in much need of improvement. I saw the architect move the ucs in a 3D view and it would cut sections through the building wherever he placed the icon. Of course he did not explain how or what he was doing, I was lucky to get the Revit file from them. So can anyone clue me in? I have the 3D view up and did enough google searches to find out how to turn the UCS icon on. I can see it in the 3D view and can orbit around the structure. I click on the icon but nothing happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to do a little digging on this but in case anyone is interested:

The tools the architect and the other presenters were using with their Revit model is another software package by AutoDesk called Navisworks, in particular Navisworks Freedom, emphasis on the FREE part of that title. You see it's hard to get decision makers to spend money when they are not sure of the ROI. When it's free, anything you get out of it is your ROI. So someone finally clued me in to this and once I downloaded and installed Navisworks Freedom I was able to Enable Sectioning and start slicing through the building and structures. Works great.

It does appear that you have to get the Revit model, export it to an NWD, NWF or NWC file and then Navisworks will take it from there. Still lots of learning yet to do with this BIM thing but it's really cool stuff.

Edited by Bill Tillman