Adding materials problem

Berzerker

I got me a new project and I wanted to add some materials to it so I could see what different things looked liked with different materials applied.

Yeah, It didn't go so well. I picked a material and selected "Apply materials to objects", sounds simple. All of a sudden everything in the drawing gets this material. I don't get to pick anything, it just applies it to everything.

I open the materials list:

Can't get imgur to work images in attachments

Select the material

Then I get this:

Image in attachments

And when I do manage to get the paint brush to choose what to apply it to when I select it, it doesn't change anything.

help

materials list autocad.PNG

Material on everything.PNG

Edited by Berzerker

I drag and drop the material on each object or use Material by Layer. You can also insert materials into the drawing and assign them in properties.

Are you using AutoCAD 2007?

Hey nice to post with you again SLW210. Yes I'm still on 2007. I even assigned each object to different layers, turned layers off and on hoping it wouldn't affect them but it did. I will try the drag and drop but it should allow me to choose with the paint brush which objects I want to apply the materials to.

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks

Ok that didn't work. I'll open my materials list 

materials list autocad.PNG

And if I choose texture map and select anything and try to apply it nothing happens

And if I use Bump map and select a material as soon as I click the open button everything changes.

I still get no choice what to apply it to.

I've clicked everything and still haven't figured this out.

Edited by Berzerker

OK I think I figured it out. I had to make a new material and name it what it was in the list then it showed up as a second material in my list. I could then select it and apply it to the different objects.

Materials list 2.PNG

Edited by Berzerker

On 10/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, Berzerker said:

OK I think I figured it out. I had to make a new material and name it what it was in the list then it showed up as a second material in my list. I could then select it and apply it to the different objects.

Hey Berzerker. Long time, no see. Looks like you already figured it out, but I remember having this same issue back when I used to do 3D work in Autocad. The first material acts like a global material and gets applied to everything, as you saw. So I always left that material blank and created new materials for each object.

• Like 1

Bless you for trying to render in AutoCAD.

You could always use SimLab Composer Lite (free) to render your DWG files. Just make sure that you give each material it's own layer in the DWG files to make assigning materials easier.

• Like 1

What's up Cad64. Yeah I kinda thought for a second and it made sense. It was putting the default layer on it that I was changing.

Yes f700es I have simlab composer but I use it to get an idea so I'll just quick render it in AutoCad.

I'm not a everyday user of AutoCad so in between using it i have to remember somethings again.

I got a question. When looking at the objects I get bleed through (I guess that's what you would call it). I can see what's underneath other solid objects. I can understand it while in wireframe but if it's a 3D solid I shouldn't see what's below a solid. Is there a setting to fix this ?

You have to look close but those straight lines are what's below.

bleed through.PNG

Edited by Berzerker

Got the latest drivers. I believe I just read something on hardware acceleration but I turned it on because it was doing it, so that's not it. I know if you draw an object and extrude it (Make it a solid) it will keep the edge lines (the lines you see at the corners and edges) so you can pick that object. Those are cabinets and if you look at the bottom doors you can see the shelves that's behind the door and you can see the cabinets themselves under the counter top. Those straight lines are the shelves and cabinets. I shouldn't be able to see a shelf behind a door, should I ?

No, you shouldn't be seeing those lines. Maybe it has something to do with the materials you're using or the visual style? I'm not really sure. Maybe try switching to the Shaded visual style. Your materials won't be visible in Shaded mode, but at least you can see if the lines disappear.

You only get "2dwireframe/3dwireframe/3dHidden/Realistic/Conceptual/Other". I'm on realistic ? Or is that not what your talking about ?

Now I do not have a light source yet because I haven't got to that part yet. I'm using wood for the cabinets and granite rock for the counter top. There is no formica in my materials.

Need to look up some more materials to add to it in the near future but that isn't going to fix this. I can live with it, I mean it's not destroying the measurements or what I need from it which is to see what I need to buy and will they fit in the area I have. But if I'm going to learn I want to know what it is I'm doing wrong or have set wrong.

Oh, I just realized you're using 2007, so yeah, your visual styles are limited to just those that you mentioned.

I believe the entire Autocad 3D environment was given a complete overhaul in 2006, so you're on the very next version. Maybe that's why you're having these display issues. Maybe they hadn't worked out the kinks yet. You might just have to deal with it, or send the model over to Simlab to check out how things look with materials applied.

Thanks Cad64. I kinda figured it was just the old version I was using but it didn't hurt to ask.

As I said I can deal with it. I just love drawing, always will till I'm gone from this place. Being able to draw when you can't even make good stick men is awesome.

I was shocked to find out that there is no regular clear glass in the 2007 library. I also found a materials library but it wouldn't install (something about wrong version). When I checked the properties of one of the materials it was just a .jpg file. What gives here ? I know I can just make the glass but that's not the point. I'm sure in later versions there is glass. I get three glass materials when I search the materials folder and none of them are just plain glass.

Is there another materials library that you can download for older versions.

This is all I got.

no glass.PNG

It kinda reminds me of the chrome material that it doesn't have either.

Edit: it took me about 5 seconds to create it ? 

Edited by Berzerker

There's a difference between textures and materials. A texture file would just be a simple .jpg image file. A material controls how the texture appears on the model, like it's reflectivity, specularity, color tint, roughness, etc. That's why the material library you found won't load and tells you it's the wrong version. It was probably created for a newer version and won't work in 2007.

As for the 2007 version, yeah, I remember the materials library was pretty minimal. Newer versions have a lot more materials. And no, I don't know of any other libraries you can download for older versions. You will just have to make your own materials. Or take your model into Simlab. ;)

Yeah, sometimes I use the words interchangeably when I shouldn't. It comes from the my game mapping days when everything was a texture and then in AutoCad they're called materials.

I would say I look at it like the material is (glass) and the texture would be is it bumpy, smooth, tinted ...etc. Maybe that's more real life thinking rather than what the program that your using names them so I'll try to remember that when asking another question.

That's sad (?) That you can't add more materials to an older version. You would have thought that someone somewhere would have done this and was willing to share and post them online.

I know your right, I looked.

8 hours ago, Berzerker said:

That's sad (?) That you can't add more materials to an older version.

Well, technically you can add more materials, you just have to create them yourself and then save them to a tool palette or custom material library. But yeah, I don't know of any third party custom libraries that you can install.

The model is looking pretty good, but your burners and cylinder knobs look really faceted. If you set the FACETRES variable to 10, that should smooth out the cylinders and make them look nice and round.

For rendering, I would suggest turning Perspective on.

I decided to slap together a quick and dirty scene to show what can be done for presentation purposes. I turned Perspective on, added a floor, two walls and 3 point lights. Nothing fancy, just a quick little environment setup to add a little realism to show off your model.

Hope that helps.

675416624_SceneSetup.thumb.jpg.12fa75cbb66c5d98c8ccd6200fc72e2a.jpg185497892_StoveRendering.png.95f9e0d23adf13b90d573a81e3fe7f52.png

• Like 1