Importing 3d dwg from inventor

legoet

Hi all, 

Is there a way to import drawing from inventor into autocad with the same reference face. 

The front view in inventor is different from the front view in autocad after importing over. 

Thanks in advance. 

11 hours ago, legoet said:

Hi all, 

Is there a way to import drawing from inventor into autocad with the same reference face. 

The front view in inventor is different from the front view in autocad after importing over.

I don't use Inventor, so I can't say for sure what might be wrong, but according to the Knowledge Base article I just read, you can set any viewpoint as "Front". This is fine as long as you stay in Inventor, but Autocad won't recognize the front view you set in Inventor. It's just going to look at the X, Y and Z axes and set the front view accordingly. So, if you set a particular viewpoint as "Front" in Inventor, it won't be the same when you bring your file into Autocad. Or at least that's my understanding.

A little history lesson.  Back in the early 80's when AutoCAD first came out two primary applications they focused on were architectural and NC machining.  For these application the primary view is the plan view for architecture and the top view for 2 1/2 axis machining.  This is counter to most mechanical applications where the primary view is considered the front view.  AutoCAD thus established the top view to define the world XY plane.  As Inventor is primarily used for the design of mechanical parts and assemblies it assumes the front view as the primary XY plane.

If nothing else works, you can always use rotate3d (not 3drotate) to rotate the imported model in AutoCAD by + or - 90° about the x axis.