Elongate an object

I  have a drawing of the letter 'e' that I  would like to make taller and thinner.

I  have looked at Stretch, but it only seems to move the object that I  select.

Can anyone please advise if this elongation is possible in AutoCAD 2018?

regards,

PJ

stretch_test.dwg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer, SLW210. I  am totally new to BLOCKS
I want to be able to change  the dimensions in the X and Y  axis independently. I  have created a Block, set X-Y parameters, and added the  Scale Action, and then made a frame window that covered the whole  of the drawing object ( the letter 'e')
But when I went to test the block, it would not work, even though the Stretch Action was attached to the bottom RH corner
Can anyone please advise where I have gone wrong, and give me step by step instructions on the way forward?
On the drawing, as shown attached, I  simply want to reduce it in size, with different amounts of reduction in the X and Y directions
I  would really appreciate any help.

e-block.dwg

Edited by PJ01

I didn't mean to make a dynamic block. Just a regular block with the Block command.  Unselect "Scale uniformly" and after making it a block, use properties to set the x and y scale as desired. 

Thanks SWL210. I  thought I did uncheck "Scale Uniformly " when making the block.
First I have heard of an ordinary block v. dynamic block.

How do I make an ordinary block?

30 minutes ago, PJ01 said:

Thanks SWL210. I  thought I did uncheck "Scale Uniformly " when making the block.
First I have heard of an ordinary block v. dynamic block.

How do I make an ordinary block?

You can edit the block and change the "scale uniformly" property to No. From then on you can scale it as you wish.

There's only one kind of block. A dynamic block includes some parameters that let you change one instance of a block, by (for instance) stretching it or scaling it. My experience with dynamic blocks is that they're handy, but I tend to define them in all the wrong ways before I get them right.

Hi PJ01,

I have turned your letter into a block and attached it below.

The two radii on the middle section of your letter weren't touching the rest of the entities so I have joined them together.

As SLW210 mentioned it only needs to be an ordinary block so once you insert this drawing into your own file (without exploding it) you can click on it and see in the Properties Palette under the Scale section that there is X, Y & Z. They are presently set all to 1, but if you change any one of these you will see your letter change proportion.

Bear in mind that if you don't change the size proportionally that the Arcs will become ellipses and you won't be able to explode them.

Hope that helps.

Something weird is going on, Dahzee. This is not the drawing I posted above, but another one I  was working on with a 3.5mm offset, with a different name to the one I posted. I have attached mine again for comparison. You will note it says nothing about  any offset

e-block.dwg

Edited by PJ01

Hi PJ01,

You have it correct, you now have a block which you can scale separately in different axis.

Your block is dynamic but that doesn't matter for this instance it still works.

Just select the block and in the Properties palette, adjust the Scale X and Scale Y as you require (see attached PNG).

In your file I exploded the block and turned it back into an ordinary block and adjusted both the X and Y values as you can see.

Scaling Block.png

e-block.dwg