AutoCAD Licensing

Bill Tillman

Over the last few years I've had to get creative in keeping a steady cashflow going, which means I've worked for several different firms. What I'm noticing is that here in the year 2022, there are lots of users still using earlier versions of AutoCAD especially 2016. As I recall it was 2015 which moved to the subscription era of software, thus someone using version 2016 would be in violation of the EULA. 

I still have a working install of 2018 that was right at the time we switched over to Subscription. I still use it as it is integrated with my Archibus install (it has to run inside CAD). Maybe different users switched over at different times?

If obtained from an Authorized reseller and still activated, should be legal to use AFAIK, though I am not going to look through the EULA for any specifics. 

It's a difficult topic to breach. As I spend more time in the free-lance world and I find these situations they generally occur with client's who often stiff me on my invoices, though the Arch/GC group loved and approved the work, or they make unrealistic demands in the scheduling of drawings, often times leaving out very important information on revisions and changes needed right up until the 59th minute of the 23rd hour but they want the drawings yesterday. One client even had EDUCATIONAL VERSIONS of 2018 scattered all over their offices. Somehow they were bypassing the banner which usually prints in the margins when using the educational version of just about anyone's software. And yeah, the stiffed me on my last invoice too. Kinda seeing a pattern here with these cheapskates. 

Edited by Bill Tillman
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a violation of the EULA to use 2016. As far as I know, the subscription model is based on the number of users in your office, not necessarily which versions are being used. So you could have 10 people in the office, and every person could be running a different version. As long as you're paying for the seats I don't think Autodesk cares which versions are being used. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Funny story: There was a guy at the last office where I worked and he always refused to upgrade. He liked his old version, (can't remember which one), but one day they finally convinced him to upgrade. He wasn't happy about it though and he kept the old version installed and continued using it locally, saving to his computer. He would work in the old version all day, and when he was done, he would open the drawing in the new version and save to the server. The only thing he used the new version for was saving.  I wonder if he's still doing that?

Using the educational version for commercial use is a different story though. That's definitely a clear violation. And since they keep stiffing you on payment for the work you do, maybe an email to Autodesk might be in order?

• Agree 1

Autodesk will pursue companies that are not doing the right thing very vigorously, they at one stage offered rewards. I am a ex Autocad rep and I can assure you they will pursue any leads,  as I know personally of one company that got caught out and Autodesk were not happy even with us as their dealer rep, even though we knew nothing about pirate copies being used, end result was 5 copies purchased at full retail price or face court.

I think and like others I am not a EULA lawyer but if you have say 1 copy starting with say 2015 then update to 2016, 2017 etc this only constitutes 1 copy that can be used not 3.

On 26/04/2022 at 13:04, Bill Tillman said:

Somehow they were bypassing the banner which usually prints in the margins when using the educational version of just about anyone's software.

AutoCAD versions 2015 to 2018 didn't have the EDU plotstamp, they even removed it from any drawing that already had it.

I did mention that when Bill previously brought up the 2016 thing last year:

Edited by nukecad

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, Cad64 said:

Using the educational version for commercial use is a different story though. That's definitely a clear violation. And since they keep stiffing you on payment for the work you do, maybe an email to Autodesk might be in order?

I think AutoDesk gives a finders/report fee