Hack or upgrade to improve thread title matching

Strix

We often have new threads addressing topics which have been covered before (and often more than once), but the software here doesn't attempt to match a new thread with previous ones until after the thread has been posted, whereupon it parks a list of suggestions at the bottom of the page (which a mod could then use to merge said threads if deemed suitable)

I mentioned the system here on SheffieldForum.co.uk, and it's been implemented - but in a better fashion!

On SF, when you start a new thread, the software searches the database as you type, and spits out a list of suggestions before you write the body text of your opening post

The same system here would save one heck of a lot of repeated threads and answers :thumbsup:

Sorry, I've no idea whether this facility exists due to a hack or them running on a later version of vBulletin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• michaeloureiro

• dbroada

• Magnum Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be nice to sift out those only titled "help". A pop up box that says - I have matched 10345 similar threads, you have to read through them all before I will allow this posting.

Or how about, "this thread has been dormant for the past 763 days - are you sure you want to resurrect it?"

It would be nice for posts to be evaluated before posting but I wonder how much impact it is going to have. It appears that those most likely to gain from any improvement of this type are the very people least likely to actually take note. Still we will never know without actually implementing it so I'm right behind you strix - go and talk to David. :)

Go for it, of it helps cut down the repetitions what's the harm in it?

Half the time we end up posting links to the related thread at the bottom anyway.

Or, we can stop being so damn nice and giving answers away without recommending/educating users to use the search function or Google first for God's sakes. It's a sin that in this day and age when the internet provides answers in a second that people are so ******* lazy that they can't even bother to use a search engine. Being able to search and research the internet is the best thing to happen to the computer world since spreadsheets.

/rant

or, we can just answer like this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22select+multiple+objects%22+autocad

:twisted:

I don´t thing google is as helpful as cad help, on the other hand, it might be safe to say that people depend on cadtutor because it´s just useful and efficient.

Some people just need that little explanation, and that´s why upgrading the search engine is probably the best bet.

...upgrading the search engine is probably the best bet.
There's nothing wrong with the forum's search function. People just need to educate themselves (or stop being too lazy) to use it.

Do we really want everyone to start using Google to find their answers? Remember, we are an Autocad Help forum. This is our sole reason for existence. So if we constantly tell people to go use Google everytime they ask a question, we may end up as desolate as some of the other CAD forums I have seen.

On the other hand, I do think they should check our FAQ section and use the forum Search function before asking their question. The "Pickfirst" and "Fildia" answers get pretty tedious after a while.

This method was implemented on a site I moderator for:

We put new members under a "Noob" status and what determined how you got out of this status was an unknown number of posts and a certain amount of time on the forums to get used to how stuff was carried out. All this really did was to keep these "Noobs" from creating threads where they didn't belong. We had specific forums for them to post the overly repeated and redundant threads and questions. This kept the rest of the sub forums from most of the clutter threads we'd have to move, lock, or delete.

Anyway that's what worked for us and you have that capability here too I believe. Maybe, not really sure.

Also the Staff/Admin was able to lift this restrictive status if a member was deemed competent and wasn't looking for a hand out or spoon fed answer. We basically like people looking for advice not freebies.

we get many levels of user on here.

We get the "will you do my homework for me" ones that most of us oldies spot straight off and ignore.

We get the "I have searched and this post of 5 years ago is nearly what I want so I'll revive it"

We get the "I need an answer NOW so I won't waste time looking"

The first group rarely post more than a few times. The others do tend to fall in line or drift away. I don't think there is any point is putting them in their own area. We can tolerate the odd one who doesn't fit in. And post count is no measure of knowledge. There is one post on the VBA section explaining the use of DOEvents, very eloquently, from a guy with 1 post to his name.

What would be REALLY nice would be for people to close out their threads. A "yes that worked - thanks" would go such a long way....

we do seem to have an unusual membership and attract a different type of poster to that of some forums - probably thanks in part to the kind of people attracted to being draughtspeople in the first place, and partly due to the style of threads contributed to by existing members

Magnum, was that a gaming forum or similar you mentioned?

For the most part we don't seem to have enough trouble from the kind of people who can't be bothered to title their threads properly or use the search facility to make it worth while tackling them specifically via the software, and I have to say I believe any form of ratings system would bring the focus more away from AutoCAD and focus more on the users in an abstract kind of way which I'd not be happy with

I just think there's a certain value in upgrading the search facility already running here - to make it more visible (given how few people know that there are threads listed at the bottom of the page even!)

Maybe we should have auto-thread-titling? that'd remove all those 'plz hlp' threads :P

DB - you're sooooooo right about people who don't give feedback. We don't ask for much, but knowing the suggestions we're making actually work would help so many other people with the same problem!

DB - you're sooooooo right about people who don't give feedback. We don't ask for much, but knowing the suggestions we're making actually work would help so many other people with the same problem!

Agreed 1,000%

the Search function does not work for words with only three letters or shorter - try searching for pdf* and dwg*

nice tip, thanks

Magnum, was that a gaming forum or similar you mentioned?

Why however did you guess...:D

It's related to games in that the content comes from specific ones, but yes it falls under that category.

I see that solution wouldn't really work here as DB explained.

Well being able to change the title of the thread would also help. Whether a mod did it or the poster themselves. I've been known to change people thread titles to more accuratly describe their thread when I see it where I moderator. It usually helps them find the help then need a little faster. People tend to ignore the "PLZ HLP!!!11!" threads.

I tried doing that very thing here to a thread I made and it worked for the first post, but not the title that appears in that forums' thread list. Is there something that prevents people from renaming their own threads?

I know what a pain in the butt it is to get the right attention to a thread with a title that doesn't explain it's current content. So I try to keep my thread's titles up to date as far as what's being discussed inside that thread as much as possible.

funnily enough, yes, I change loads of titles here, and fix the typos in them too so the search facility doesn't miss them out (and get called a pedant on occasion for it too) :P

Nobody ever figured out why we can't change the titles of our own threads - David believed he had that set up but registered users can't do it *shrugs*

Now I could suggest that any thread with a non-descriptive title (which contravenes the forum rules btw) be locked so the OP doesn't get an answer until they post properly :wink: