AutoCAD 2023 Not Stable

Bill Tillman

I'm running into the same issue with AutoCAD 2023 being very unstable on this desktop computer. By unstable I mean that it sometimes just locks up in the middle of a drawing session. Today, when I zoom into a viewport in the layout tab the cursor disappears. If I click the mouse it shows up but then just disappears again. I have restarted AutoCAD and/or restarted the computer but the problem persists. I've just noticed that the cursor disappears when I move it to the drawing area. If I move to the ribbon or the command window at the bottom and the layout tabs. I can draw, by typing commands but the cursor (cross-hairs) is not visible.

Here's the spec on this desktop:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    80.0 GB (79.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    ‎1/‎3/‎2021
OS build    19043.1706

Edited by Bill Tillman

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER with a driver #30.0.15.1259, dated 04/20/2022

I've long suspected that it's the graphics driver but searches show this card should work fine with AutoCAD and the IT guys who've tried to help say duh!

Have you upgraded any hardware resonantly? thunder storms pass by before this issue? is it unstable in any other programs or its just when you use AutoCAD?

Could be a ram issue if its sporadic.

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/

never had 80gigs of ram before so i don't know how long testing would take. if anything test bad make sure its fully seated before replacing.

No recent software upgraded or added. I run MS Outlook, Excel, Word and Chrome browser all the time without issues. Sadly, it does appear to happen only when I'm running AutoCAD 2023.

Just a guess 80Gb is odd number for memory chips of same type, 8 16 32 64 98 128 etc Is the 80Gb a mixture of memory chips ?. Is it 10 x 8gb chips. 5 x 16Gb ?

Edited by BIGAL

21 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER with a driver #30.0.15.1259, dated 04/20/2022

I've long suspected that it's the graphics driver but searches show this card should work fine with AutoCAD and the IT guys who've tried to help say duh!

The latest driver isn't the one that always works for AutoCAD. Is that the recommended driver from Autodesk?

Looks like there have been several driver updates since April, one in late July.

Also shows on Autodesk site, 2.5-2.9 GHz to be a minimum for the processor, though my home computer runs the trial versions very good at that speed.

Do you have the latest updates for AutoCAD?

I updated AutoCAD 2023 yesterday to be sure. This morning I'm still seeing display issues. The crosshairs disappear whenever I move it into the drawing area. The ribbon, the command window are not a problem. If I move the cursor out of the drawing area, whether it's  the model or a layout tab, it reappears and I can keep working. I can use AutoCAD when the crosshairs disappear but it's not the easiest way to work. I have a computer at home running AC 2023 and do not have any such issues there so it's most likely a driver issue like we suspect. Trouble is the IT team here at this place are strictly contract and the minute they start researching an issue, the $$$/hour meter starts ticking and most of the time they don't know what the issue is. They only have time to load the latest driver and move on. And this disappearing crosshair issue is intermittent. I just restarted my computer and all is well. But soon enough the cursor will disappear again.

Edited by Bill Tillman