How to Draw 2D Spring?

I am not satisfied with the answer. I asked the 2D drawing method of a spring such as attached pics at post #1, not converting 3D to 2D. Anybody else can teach me?

• Dislike 1

Thank goodness AutoDesk did not design AutoCAD such that we could work smarter rather than harder.  Were the pages of instructions you posted not clear enough? 

• Funny 1
  • Agree 1

@batsy here are detailed instructions for drawing the spring using the 2D method you reference.

1. Set osnaps to endpoint, midpoint, and nearest.
  2. Draw a rectangle of appropriate proportions, make a copy below it and draw the diagonals and vertical centerline as noted.
    image.png.d9b6ace193565ea2a3960f481cc09ab1.png 
  3. Create an ellipse then and offset to it to yield:
    image.png.5f273e661181278364392d77b943b6b2.png
  4. Create a spline with the Fit method by first click at 1, then type T (tangency) and click at 2, followed by a click at 3 and 4 then type T and click at 5.
    image.png.755add3caf4e49488876f32fa208d6f8.png
  5. Using splinedit e (edite vertex) m (move) [Enter]  (to advance to the second Control Vertex) move it up or down to adjust the radius of curvature at the start of the spline. Still in the edit spline mode type x [enter] 3 times to exit edit spline.  Note, once you have moved a CV with editspline you can now more easily move CVs with using editspline.
  6. Select the spline and move the CVs  to get the desired shape.  Be sure to keep the 2nd CV and the next to the last CV on the vertical line of the rectangle. This will ensure that spline slope at the start and end are vertical. Adjust the middle CV so that the spline is just below the bottom of the rectangle.
    image.png.5b94621c95f0b9f764d0a457c3701451.png
  7. Create an offset to the spline with the same value used for the ellipse.
    image.png.4b3185f69e22ce63f200eef32def4f67.png
  8. MIrror the 2 curves about a the rectangle horizontal middle axis then copy the top 2 curves to the top rectangle.
    image.png.0c8cbadcc1f616f75764261ec57fc299.png
  9. Copy or array the curves of the lower box.
    image.png.d86f10d97245086dc3ee8ef527bcbf6d.png
  10. Edit with trim as needed.

image.png.b65608998adba088707b48d15448911a.png

Note, the aspect ratio of the original rectangle will determine the level of spring compression.

image.png

image.png

Edited by lrm
extra images deleted
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ReMark said:

Thank goodness AutoDesk did not design AutoCAD such that we could work smarter rather than harder.  Were the pages of instructions you posted not clear enough? 

If you think the pages of instructions I posted is clear nough for you, why won't you help me earlier instead of telling me to draw it in 3D then extract the 2D views?

Edited by basty

Can anyone teach me how to create 2D spring, technical drawing way, using ellipse guide, triangles, curve, dividers, and compass, in AutoCAD?

I can create a isometric circle in AutoCAD 2002 by technical drawing way which the feature of creating isometric circle is not available in it.

The isometric circle can be created using ellipse command and some projections in ACAD 2002.

As far as I know, the isometric circle feature is just available in modern AutoCAD, a few years ago from today (2022).

I just realize that isometric circle can be created by using compass after saw the video tutorial in Youtube such as below link.

Edited by basty

The 4-arc "Isometric Circle with Compass" is a way to approximate the true isometric ellipse.  The technique was developed many years ago before computers!

Why do you seek to not use the features of AutoCAD but instead try to use methods intended for manual drafting?  

In 1974 when I was working for a CAD company that had a CAD system that could only draw arcs and lines I used the 4-arc to fudge an isometric drawing.   We've come a long way since then!

Edited by lrm
  • Like 1

Like you LRM I did tech drawing in 1976 and got 100% on exam, would never go back to a pencil and paper now.

Just a hint basty "I am not satisfied with the answer" if you criticise the answers your receiving then future answers may be very slim. 

• Like 1

This is an AutoCAD Forum, not a Manual Drafting Technique Forum.

You need to find a manual drafting course if you seek to learn these methods. Seemingly, you have posted the instructions you seek, yet cannot understand. How do you expect someone to do any more on the internet?

Ask a question on an AutoCAD Forum, you should expect AutoCAD solutions.

You are getting extremely rude!

• Like 3