Drawing too long by 40mm

matt4

Actually - Dbroada and I usually draw straight into a border in modelspace - but electrical schematics are exempt from this discussion :wink:
I do my mechanical drawings the same way. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matt4

• skipsophrenic

• Strix

• paulmcz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually - Dbroada and I usually draw straight into a border in modelspace - but electrical schematics are exempt from this discussion :wink:

I do my mechanical drawings the same way. :)

Would this be a case of "How different disciplines use AutoCAD" Then? :P

LOL only j/kin :)

-----------

Matt, Are you still having problems?

Thanks all,

Sorry been busy but diameters and radius are correct.

How do I copy my command line history?

I am sure this has to do with the fact I dragged the window across and scaled my whole template. I don't really know how much information I should provide.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Tried that. I assume it only works if the file wasn't closed because it only has recent commands. Not past commands from before I closed and reopened it.

Thanks

actually - isn't there a command tutors use to ensure students have carried out their work and not just copied a drawing into their workspace?

Well there is the command "copyhist", but again, this will only copy the current drawing session to the clipboard.

What else can I do? I'm still have the same problem. Its doubling my diameters too.

When you scale for A4 are you meant to select the whole template?

Thanks

If I'm understanding your post correctly, it's usual to keep the border and title block the same size but scale the drawing into it

you'll need to alter the DIMSCALE to dimension correctly in the daft scale your drawing is now in

This is why viewports really is the way to go :wink:

if you REALLY want to learn CAD and not just pass the course, it's worth doing all your assignments BOTH ways :(

Ah, I see.

I can use vports and know how to use it. But the notes for the assignment said to do it this way specifically!

I've tried DIMSCALE its only changing the size of the dimensions... not the length or anything. Bah... I'm thinking of scaling my whole template back to 1.0 instead of the 0.707 we are meant to have. Regardless of losing marks. I need a easy life :)

Thanks

Politely recommend that your "tutor" register with these forums so that we may have a word with them in reference to the outdated, inefficient, and error prone drawing methods they are teaching. From reading through this thread it's clear that this course will not prepare you for a career in drafting/engineering/architecture, only in ways to waste your time drawing and frustrating coworkers who'll use the drawings after you've been let go. I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but this sort of disservice to students really gets my blood boiling. I really want to sit down in a room with this mysterious tutor and give him a piece of my mind...

awwww - come on guys!

so long as the reason for making anybody do this stupid exercise is so they appreciate WHY it's not done that way, it's not really a problem

besides, there ARE drawing offices out there run in this fashion, so an appreciation of how time consuming and rubbish this drawing method is, with an understanding of how to do it I suppose has SOME value

(then they can get on with some drawing :P )

If I was drawing twice the size the dimensions would be correct yes? Say 40mm on a drawing would become 80mm in autocad?

Wit the problem you're having yes BUT what should normally happen is it should draw at 1 unit = 1mm.

So I would say don't go with that solution otherwise you'll end up having further trouble down the line.

What i will ask is what is your DIMSCALE set to?

If I was drawing twice the size the dimensions would be correct yes? Say 40mm on a drawing would become 80mm in autocad?

If you draw something 40 units long, it will stay 40 units long.

If you add something (like a title block) and then you scale everything, including your first geometry with the factor (reference number) of 2, all selected objects will become twice its original size.

If you scale with factor of 0.5, all selected objects will become half of its original size.

When you are scaling, objects you do not select will remain untouched.