make 3d toothbrush head

davenutron

Please help me make the toothbrush from the link

I need to know how to taper the main body of the head also make the shape for the head part that contains the bristles

also cut off the ends of the bristles into the iconic shape

also make the base

thanks lots and lots

61A+2Q59nzL._AC_SX425_PIbundle-4,TopRigh

I am very much a beginner, I am familiar with cad messed around a bit. I was hoping you could walk me through it with detail as I am at my whits ends trying to get this done with the cad for dummies book which I dont find very useful at the moment with a deadline coming up in a week or two. I was having elevated joy at your replying to my post thank you so much it means a lot to me, I thought no one would reply

If you're a beginner with AutoCAD, I would take a look at these tutorials to get your head around the basics: https://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/index.php?category_id=25

Once you've done that, take a look at the Loft command here: https://www.educba.com/loft-in-autocad/

You can probably create the bulk of this object with Loft.

• Like 1

Ive had a look at the tuorials and im not making any progress, is there any chance a very kind person could walk me through all the commands so I am just imputting everything I need to do It would help me a lot as I dont have long before a deadline.

Looks like a fun project to tackle.  If I still had full AutoCAD on my computer I could probably walk you through it but doing it using just typed instructions would be a bit of a chore but here are some basic ideas.  Judging by the image I see that this is an attachment for an electric toothbrush.  As David (i.e. - CADTutor) has indicated the use of the LOFT command would aid in the construction of your 3D model.  For example, starting at the very bottom two circles, one larger than the other (the bottom) would be lofted to produce the required shape (a truncated cone).   I suggest you look at the instructions for the LOFT command both in your AutoCAD for Dummies book and in the AutoCAD Help file.  The same command could be used to create the bulk of the handle above the truncated cone.  The portion of the toothbrush head that holds the bristles could be created using the LOFT or EXTRUDE command.  The tricky part is the point at which the head attaches to the handle.  This needs to be a smooth transition as you are going from a round shape (the handle) to a flat shape (the head).  The bristles can be created using the EXTRUDE or PUSHPULL command.  I would made one set of bristles, then copy them to create the rows which appear to have 2, 3 and 4 sets of bristles.  Once you have them in place they could be shaped (higher at each end and the middle) via the SLICE command.  Again, you will have to consult your book and/or the Help file to learn how to use this command.  BTW... there are tons of AutoCAD videos on the Internet.  Any command you can think of has been demonstrated by someone at one time or another.  Good luck with your project.

BTW... do you have the actual toothbrush from which you can take rough measurements?      

Edited by ReMark

What you see below was created in a program called Sketchup, a 3D modeling program.  It basically demonstrates what I was talking about using the LOFT command, in AutoCAD, with two different size circles.  I created the truncated cone base first followed by the shaft (using same technique) second.  I created each part separately, although that isn't absolutely necessary, then moved the truncated cone to the bottom of the shaft making use of the Center Osnap.  Are you familiar with Osnaps and the various settings?  When every component has been created and you are satisfied with the result you can elect to UNION (join together as one entity) the individual parts if you so desire.  This should really be done only as a final step.  

Toothbrush_1.PNG

Edited by ReMark

Hi there,

I have a problem already, I go to make the loft command with 2 circles, 1 being higher on the z axis. What I do is froma tutorial, select both circles press enter. He on the video says select cross sections I presume he means cross sections only as thats all I have. It says the selcted entities are not valid. Any idea what is going on here.

Lofting two circles should be as effortless as blinking one's eyes.  Draw a 2D circle.  Next, draw a vertical line in the Z axis.  Follow this by drawing a second 2D circle, with a smaller diameter at the top of this line.  Invoke the LOFT command then select the bottom circle followed by the top circle.  Finally, press Enter when done.

In the example shown above my bottom circle had a radius of 0.1875.  The top circle had a radius of .09375.  The vertical line (in Z axis) had a length of 0.25.  BTW... are you working in a 3D modeling environment?  If so, it might be useful to work in the SE (Southeast) isometric view.  

Thank you for the posts,

I get modeling operation error

error code number is 114066

Do you know what I have done wrong here, this should have been the easy bit damnit

I dont know what the literature means bellow can you explain what I should do,

Issue:

When you use the LOFT command on a series of contours in AutoCAD, the following error displays when a particular contour is selected, and the command fails to create a solid or surface.

"Modeling Operation Error:
     Loft surface self-intersects."

Solution:

Adjust the LOFTNORMALS system variable to 5 and attempt the LOFT operation again.

Alternatively, test the different LOFTNORMALS values or try selecting the contours in the opposite order.

Edited by davenutron

Like Remark drew 2 circles then did move picking the smaller circle, type "Move" pick circle then "0,0,0" "0,0,0.25" will move circle up 0.25 in Z.

Also did -vpoint 1,1,1

LOFT pick in order as requested. 

You also need to read up on Rotate3D command it will be your friend. 

image.png.176c7de94895ccd49d5c898bc67093ab.png

image.png.b75f6b2719ee811791278e106b351acf.png

Edited by BIGAL

Ah... BIGAL, I liked to point out that to construct the base of the toothbrush a cone with its top sliced off (or a truncated cone) would be required.  And I do believe the shaft (i.e. - handle) is slightly tapered.

Ok, here's my toothbrush. It took about 30 minutes. It's all pretty straightforward modeling operations. The only tricky part was the transition piece connecting the head to the shaft.

For the shaft, I drew the profile and Revolved it.

For the head, I drew the outline and then extruded it up a little. Then I put a Fillet radius around the bottom edge. Then I Mirrored it and Unioned both pieces together.

For the brush, I just created a bunch of cylinders and arranged them on the head. Then I Unioned them all together. Then I created the two large cylinders and subtracted them from the brush cylinders.

The transition piece was tricky, like I said, but I was able to create it with a Loft. The only problem is the Loft creates a surface, not a solid, and Autocad refuses to convert the surface to a solid, so the head, the shaft and the transition piece are all separate parts.

I don't know if any of that helps, but give it a try and see how far you can get.

By the way, I have moved this thread to the Autocad 3D Modeling section: https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forum/14-autocad-3d-modelling-amp-rendering/

Toothbrush.jpg

• Like 2

This is a lot to deal with I am really stugleing I have done exacly what the tutorial says to do but I get this bellow, is my cad set up wrong I am in 3d modeling and I have make my circles on different hights in the z axis. I am currently trying to make it with the revolve command but finding this harder than loft.

I get modeling operation error

error code number is 114066

Do you know what I have done wrong here, this should have been the easy bit damnit

I dont know what the literature means bellow can you explain what I should do,

Issue:

When you use the LOFT command on a series of contours in AutoCAD, the following error displays when a particular contour is selected, and the command fails to create a solid or surface.

"Modeling Operation Error:
     Loft surface self-intersects."

Solution:

Adjust the LOFTNORMALS system variable to 5 and attempt the LOFT operation again.

Alternatively, test the different LOFTNORMALS values or try selecting the contours in the opposite order.

I have worked out why I got error code both circless were on the same value on the z axis. Now I need to know how to line out the part of the head with bristles on.

1 hour ago, davenutron said:

I have worked out why I got error code both circless were on the same value on the z axis. Now I need to know how to line out the part of the head with bristles on.

It sounds like you're trying to run before you even know how to walk. You're jumping into 3D without any knowledge of how to draw simple shapes in 2D. You should look for some tutorials on Youtube to learn the basics of drawing in 2D.

Below is an illustration to show how I created the brush head.

After you draw all the lines and arcs, you can use the PEDIT command to join all the lines and arcs into a single Polyline.

Once you have the Polyline, you can EXTRUDE it to create the 3DSolid.

Question: If you're a beginner,  why do you have a deadline? Is this a school project?

Brush Head.jpg

• Like 1

The problem I have encountered is when I make a line from the bottom to the top horisontal line on your diagram in order to give me snaps the botton snap does not work and also the middle of the arc is not snapped how should I do the arcs evenly, ~I have tried a 5 sided polygon but that creates a larger round shape

I'm sorry but I can't teach you how to use Autocad through messaging back and forth. I can only tell you the commands I used and the steps I took to create the various elements. It's up to you to take the information provided and use it to create your own objects. As I mentioned in my last post, you need to find some video tutorials to learn the basics of drawing in Autocad or take a class or find someone who can sit down with you and show you how to do these things.

If you're having trouble drawing the Arc's, maybe you need to turn Ortho off by hitting the F8 key.

I'm not sure what you mean by "snaps". Are you talking about Osnaps? If you draw the elements, in the order I noted, you should be able to start the Arc at the endpoint of the bottom line, then click a point in space for the 2nd point of the arc, (you can adjust the curve later), then end the Arc at the endpoint of the top line. 

Make sure your Osnaps are enabled by hitting the F3 key, before you start drawing the arc.

You may also need to adjust your Osnap settings to make sure you can snap to Endpoints. The image below shows the settings I have set as default.

You can access the settings dialog by typing OSNAP at the command prompt.

Osnap Settings.jpg