how to make boxes to your own measurements in autocad

davenutron

If you are using the acadiso.dwt (drawing template) then it is already set up to utilize metric.  Here is one way to create a box.

Create a rectangle using the Rectangle command.

Offset the rectangle the required thickness of the box you want to create.

Reorient the UCS so that the Y axis is pointed up.

Move the inner rectangle the required thickness.

Reorient the UCS so the Z axis is up.

Extrude the inner rectangle to a height slightly higher than what your finished box will be.

Extrude the outer rectangle to the exact finished height.

Subtract the inner rectangle from the outer rectangle.

Done.

By the way, how's that 3D toothbrush coming along?  Have you made any progress at all or did you give up?

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

firstly when you said offset the rectangle the required thickness I assume you mean give it length and width?

Reorient the ucs so that the y axis is pointed up, I get what you mean but how to do that?

The toothbrush ~I found way to hard and I have given up on.

Edited by davenutron

Re: "required thickness".  I am referring to the thickness of the lumber itself.  What is the nominal thickness of wood used in the country you live in?  In the United States it is three quarters of an inch although if one is constructing boxes out of plywood it could vary.

Re: UCS.  If you are working in 3D it is a requirement that you know how to reorient the UCS.  This should have been taught to you by your instructor.  Refer to Lesson 3-12 at mycadsite.com titled: "Setting and Using the UCS | Dynamic UCS" for instructions as to one method.  An optional method is to right-click the UCS icon, and click Rotate Axis. Click X, Y, or Z. As you drag the cursor, the UCS rotates in the positive direction around the specified axis. You can also specify a rotation angle.

Re: 3D toothbrush.  I posted a reply that includes the commands one might use and an image showing the progression for creating the toothbrush from 2D to 3D.  The only thing you learn by giving up is knowledge and experience.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

Here in AUS if making a box would probably be using 19mm thick timber sheet.

I would draw rectangs length x thickness as ReMark suggested extrude to required height, to make box, you can then copy each side and use rotate3D to make a flat pattern and add dimensions.

image.thumb.png.e29ff2d097f4422db4d143804f8b5ed9.png

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ReMark said:

Extrude the inner rectangle to a height slightly higher than what your finished box will be.

Extrude the outer rectangle to the exact finished height.

Subtract the inner rectangle from the outer rectangle.

Done.

I did not understand any of this, all I am looking to do is make a box with the tool on autocad not a 6 sided box but I need to use diamentions

14 hours ago, ReMark said:

Maybe you should have been more specific with your question.  I can only assume that you are referring to the BOX command in AutoCAD.  Is that correct?  If that is the case then invoke the BOX command and type "L" for the Length option.  Now look at the command line prompts.  You will be asked for the length, the width and the height.  At each prompt you merely type in the desired measurements.  Your output will look like this.  It couldn't be any easier.  When you mentioned you wanted to create a box, I had in mind an object that one might put something in not a cube.  A box is a space; a cube is a three dimensional solid figure formed with squares.  BTW... did you know you can look in the AutoCAD HELP file and get instructions on how to use each command?  Try it sometime.   

3Dboxes.PNG

Edited by ReMark

Actually, BIGAL the OP really wanted to know how to use the BOX command (under Primitives) to create a 6-sided cube with specific dimensions.  Yet, the OP goes on to say... "I am looking to do is make a box with the tool on autocad not a 6 sided box but I need to use diamentions."  Go figure.

any idea how to put the length width and depth in as desscribed eariler but in blender there is no command line

On 25/11/2022 at 12:06, ReMark said:

BOX command in AutoCAD.  Is that correct?  If that is the case then invoke the BOX command and type "L" for the Length option.  Now look at the command line prompts.  You will be asked for the length, the width and the height.  At each prompt you merely type in the desired measurements. 

Will anyone offer their services to give me a blender tutorial 20 pounds an hour on teamspeak or discord or irc. I could use a couple of hours I only need to creat blocks nothing difficult

1 hour ago, davenutron said:

any idea how to put the length width and depth in as desscribed eariler but in blender there is no command line

You could not grasp the concept of creating a cube, via dimensions, using AutoCAD but you somehow think you'll be able to do it using Blender?  

Add Cube - Blender Manual: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/toolbar/add_cube.html#:~:text=The tool works by first, below to constrain the object.

Edited by ReMark

2 hours ago, davenutron said:

Will anyone offer their services to give me a blender tutorial 20 pounds an hour on teamspeak or discord or irc. I could use a couple of hours I only need to creat blocks nothing difficult

I already gave you links to (3) really good Blender Youtube channels in your other thread. These channels have literally hundreds of hours of free tutorials.

Anyway, you don't need a couple hours to learn how to create basic blocks. Here's a 6 minute tutorial:

14 minutes ago, ReMark said:

I think the OP should probably start with the video titled "Absolute Beginner Basics...Blender for Noobs".  Just saying.

I agree. You need to learn the interface, menu's, navigation, how to set up units and snapping, keyboard shortcuts (because everything in Blender is accessed by keyboard commands), modifiers, etc. Blender is a fantastic program, but it does have a learning curve. Starting with the absolute basics is very important.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, davenutron said:

anyone know where I can get a tutorial via voice?

Don't most videos now come with voice?  If you had trouble following directions using AutoCAD what makes you think you will be able to edit a .stl file using Blender?  I think you are in way over your head.