Adding Hatch Patterns

rccola

Hi Im looking to add a wood floor Hatch if anyone can help. Everyone keeps saying to add it to the acad.pat file. I dont know where to find the acad.file pat file let alone add anything to it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• rccola

• LarsT

• lpseifert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Type this in at the command line

(findfile "acad.pat")

this will show you the location of the file. Then follow the instructions referred by ReMark. You do have the code for the pattern, don't you?

I do have the code for the wood pattern. I just dont know how to get it on my CAD.

I tried typing findfile "acad.pat" in the command line and nothing happend it just says to press F1.

You have to type it exactly as it was written above - punctuation and all!

I've got to go out for a smoke. If I'm not back in an hour start without me.

if you have the code for the pattern then you can either add it to acad.pat or just create your own new one. "Mypatterns.pat"

The advantage in having a custom hatch pattern file is that if you send your dwg to someone it will always look for your custom pattern which you need to send also. If you edit acad.pat then the other person will only get an error message saying it can not find the pattern and its harder to work out what is missing because of using acad.pat.

I think its good practice to create your own custom line and hatch patterns rather than edit the default acad ones. Also each time you update you have to go and edit the pattern files again.

"Also each time you update you have to go and edit the pattern files again."

I would tend to disagree with this statement. It's simply a matter of keeping a copy of your customized file in a separate, easily recognizable folder. I call mine MyCustomAcadFiles. It includes acad.pat, acad.lin and acad.pgp just to name a few.

I agree with ReMark, keeping all the custom files in one handy location is a good solution.

Back to the OP's question, AutoCAD depending on the version has differing names for the .pat files, try searching for "*.pat" on your hard drive, it will probably find 4 or more, you probably want the ones in Documents and Settings-Profiles ...

Since the OP's profile states he is using AutoCAD 2008 I would assume we are looking for acad.pat at this point.

Using lpseifert's suggestion on my 2009 version AutoCAD I got the following:

Command: (findfile "acad.pat")

"C:\\Documents and Settings\\remark\\Application Data\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD

2009\\R17.2\\enu\\support\\acad.pat"

OK so I typed in (findfile "acad.pat") and this came up

2008\\R17.1\\enu\\support\\acad.pat

What now??

Open the file in Notepad and add your new hatchpattern.

type this at the command line

(startapp "notepad.exe" (findfile "acad.pat"))

scroll to the bottom of the file, paste/type in the code for the hatch pattern. Don't forget to save.

Here's a hint. Let your fingers do the walking and your eyes the searching with Google. Just type in the search box (exactly as shown punctuation and all):

"autocad"+"hatch pattern"

This is just one of hits I got:

http://www.cad-design-and-drafting-services.com/free-autocad-hatch-patterns.html

There are plenty more where this came from. Try it.