Trying to Loft a hook

Red_Stafford

In the second example if you try to extrude (the closed profiles) as a test there is no red cross.

I still see a red cross. Click on the red cross, and it runs through it's diagnosis and picks up the open profile on the sketch that contains the rails ....

Hence I can't really see any difference between rev1 and rev2, except one works with loft as solid, and the other needs to be lofted surface first, then sculpted.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• Red_Stafford

• linnmaster

• lis_wang

Did you take a look at the Rev2 file I posted? You need to be careful where you select the edges for the loft. Click on the planar faces near the edge or the tangency will be to incorrect face.

Note also that must have existing solid faces or surfaces to get the tangent options. Lofts with sketches do not give this option.

Ahhh! I see! Thanks so much for the clarification and pointing to where the issue might be.

Oh, and yes, I looked at Rev2.

Regards, David

I still see a red cross. Click on the red cross, and it runs through it's diagnosis and picks up the open profile on the sketch that contains the rails ....

Not the rail sketch - that one is open and therefore should have a red cross.

Not the rail sketch - that one is open and therefore should have a red cross.

Your Rev2 file has a minal mistake, the dimension 38 for sketch 3 is from side to side, instead of from center to center.

Thank you very much JD.

Hey JD are you just using inventor for those renders on page 4 of the hook? They look very sharp, id like to get my renders to that quality. Can you attach the finished file for that so i can take a look at the rendering options/settings. Thanks

Hey JD are you just using inventor for those renders on page 4 of the hook? They look very sharp, id like to get my renders to that quality. Can you attach the finished file for that so i can take a look at the rendering options/settings. Thanks

I had a look earlier, and it seems to be just material settings ... select the surface, right click, options, material ... for the the matt hook finish - it's cast aluminium ... for the shiny thread part ... polished alumnium? Hope that helps. Regards, David

I had a look earlier, and it seems to be just material settings ... select the surface, right click, options, material ... for the the matt hook finish - it's cast aluminium ... for the shiny thread part ... polished alumnium? Hope that helps. Regards, David

What about the background, just a custom background image? Seems to make sense now. Now why cant we render that well with inventor :P Meh practice i suppose.

What about the background, just a custom background image? Seems to make sense now. Now why cant we render that well with inventor :P Meh practice i suppose.

Heya ... I never took much notice of the background - are you talking about way earlier with the faint grid? If you are, then wait for JD's response.

I personally can't be bothered with the background, or the appearance of the model, because for me, at the end of the day, the drawing is what's important, and (btw, I learned this the hard way) after many nights without sleep spent trying to model it perfectly, and get it all looking nice, you STILL HAVE THE DRAWING TO DO!!! If you have time, it's great fun and good learning to make the model look like JD's, and it's great for presentation purposes, but in my world, people couldn't care less ... the drawing is the key ... so keep that in mind :)

Just my opinion and my experience ....

Oh yeah, dont get me wrong, im up the with the better users when it comes to inventor and the drawing comes first as you say, although in my free time i try to master the program by working on areas like rendering in inventor, it has its uses as some clients have requested presentation drawings but i can just never get it to look sharp in inventor. Id say the faint grid is just a custom background being used.

Eg. I know i can do better then this, just cant seem to get the quality im after in inventor though.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

i can just never get it to look sharp in inventor. Id say the faint grid is just a custom background being used.

The grid was not a custom background - one of the standard backgrounds in Inventor Tools>Application Options>Colors tab.

Search Google for Bill Bogan Inventor Studio Tutorials.

Also Mark Flaylor has several here http://au.autodesk.com

look in the Online classes.

Everyone else - give it an honest try before you look at my example.

Just realized I made a slight mistake - change the 38 dimension in Sketch1 to 44. Change Thicken1 to 44 as well.

I realized that I didn't need the second extrude surface and be very very careful with ribs. Keep in mind that when we drew in 2D that rib extents are simplified. In 3D we have to be a bit more true to the real geometry.

Frame.zip

Frame_Rev1.zip

Everyone else - give it an honest try before you look at my example.

Just realized I made a slight mistake - change the 38 dimension in Sketch1 to 44. Change Thicken1 to 44 as well.

I realized that I didn't need the second extrude surface and be very very careful with ribs. Keep in mind that when we drew in 2D that rib extents are simplified. In 3D we have to be a bit more true to the real geometry.

Dear JD

Your method is excellent. I tried to use LOFT with 3D sketch trails. It looks very bad.

frame_SVOG.zip

• 3 weeks later...
I cannot do the loft portion for the frame. The trail looks like a 3D sketch. Please see what I have done.

Hi Lis

if that fork is to be cast in sand or forged

those concentric ribs around the big hole are making an under cut

that's a trouble for pattern making and it will cost big dollars to produce

consider make them perpendicular to the the join line (larger surface).

Regards Ralf

engineering pattern-maker designer

Hi Lis

if that fork is to be cast in sand or forged

those concentric ribs around the big hole are making an under cut

that's a trouble for pattern making and it will cost big dollars to produce

consider make them perpendicular to the the join line (larger surface).

Regards Ralf

engineering pattern-maker designer

What do you mean by " perpendicular to the the join line "?

Thanks