• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• Red_Stafford

• linnmaster

• lis_wang

Ok this is where I have got to so far (see attached) but it is still not right ?

I don't normally go to sites like that to download stuff. If you drag the red End of Part marker in the feature tree to all the way to the top before saving and zipping that usually makes a file small enough to attach here.

Then on my end I simply drag the EOP back down.

I backed up a bit on your sketch.

There is no Horizontal constraint on the 56mm line which is obviously intented to be horizontal. Add the constraint.

These outside arcs all need to be Tangent to create a smooth part - add Tangent constraints.

The 46mm line does not go through the centerpoint as it should.

These radial lines aren't part of the rail, so they should be Construction linetype (see attached).

I would replace the Ø30 dimension with a R15 dimension (you can even do this before it was trimmed when it was still a circle by right clicking when placing the dimension.

With this part Tangent is your friend.

In the attached I demonstrated pulling up the EOP to make the file size as small as possible, simply drag it back down below Sketch1.

Slow Down.zip

I backed up a bit on your sketch.

There is no Horizontal constraint on the 56mm line which is obviously intented to be horizontal. Add the constraint.

These outside arcs all need to be Tangent to create a smooth part - add Tangent constraints.

The 46mm line does not go through the centerpoint as it should.

These radial lines aren't part of the rail, so they should be Construction linetype (see attached).

I would replace the Ø30 dimension with a R15 dimension (you can even do this before it was trimmed when it was still a circle by right clicking when placing the dimension.

With this part Tangent is your friend.

In the attached I demonstrated pulling up the EOP to make the file size as small as possible, simply drag it back down below Sketch1.

Ok cheers but I cant open the file as I am using Inventor Prof 2008

I have made some of the mentioned amendments, what do you think, its not all changed colour ?

Hook_05.zip

You were still missing a few dimensions - but I think you have to admit - you've made a lot of progress since that rat's nest you had yesterday.

You still have a bit of work to do on the section profiles - Tip: same number of entities in each connecting profile will make your life easier.

Change those lines to Construction linetype (toggled in upper right corner of screen while in sketch mode).

Dimensions.PNG

The transistion at the base of the hook is too sharp. In fact, following the rail it curves back over itself (see attached).

Probably need to move that circle down to where the horizontal line passes through the R5 curve.

The add another section circle at 45°. You will have to use a series of Lofts - I don't think you can get this all with one loft.

transistion.PNG

The transistion at the base of the hook is too sharp. In fact, following the rail it curves back over itself (see attached).

Probably need to move that circle down to where the horizontal line passes through the R5 curve.

The add another section circle at 45°. You will have to use a series of Lofts - I don't think you can get this all with one loft.

Ok I think I have corrected that but the loft still doesnt work, see attached

Hook_05.zip

Can any else give me a hand with this, I have got till tomorrow to sort this hook out ?

Prety please...

sorry red i cant open your files because im using an older version.

have you dont any simple lofts and had them work? Have you gone through the tutorials JD posted?

sorry red i cant open your files because im using an older version.

have you dont any simple lofts and had them work? Have you gone through the tutorials JD posted?

I have read the tuturials and I have also managed to loft other things.

I have read the tuturials and I have also managed to loft other things.

I noticed that you had a bunch of extra projected stuff in each of the profile sketches and that at least one was not attached to the rails.

I normally check this as I go along.

Create the first two profiles.

Try to loft with rails. OK then undo.

Sketch next profile.

Try again. OK undo.

Not OK figure out why.

Once you do these steps you start to learn how to create clean connected sketches.

I added the angled circle sketch to replace the flat circle sketch you had near the base and another angled sketch near the hook.

I didn't take the time to find the missing connection to the rail -which results in the bumb discontinuity seen in attached image.

Do you have a picture of the actual part?

Hook.png

So you suggest deleting the sketches and do them again one by trying each one at a time.

See attached pic.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

So you suggest deleting the sketches and do them again one by trying each one at a time.

See attached pic.

Well, actually I simply started over using what was learned from the first couple of attempts and your pics. About 6 hours of work this is what I came up with. I will explain the steps over the next few days as I find time. Suffice to say this is not a beginner project, although I will make it look fairly easy.

Inventor Hook.jpg

First of all I simplified the main loft feature as the beginning and end sections (and all intermediate sections) were identical except for the height.

By projecting the rails 14/2 and 25/2 on either side I needed only the two end profiles.

Projected Rails.jpg

Well, actually I simply started over using what was learned from the first couple of attempts and your pics. About 6 hours of work this is what I came up with. I will explain the steps over the next few days as I find time. Suffice to say this is not a beginner project, although I will make it look fairly easy.

That is quality.

When examining your sketches I realized the last two on the end of the part were same size rectangles. This means that geometry could be created with a simple Extrude feature rather than a Loft. At the beginning end I Lofted the circles.

ends.jpg