3DS Max 2009 + Vray Questions

cadboi08

Hello all,

I have a few questions about 3DS Max 2009 and vray 1.5 SP2.

1. How can I snap the pivot point of an object to a vertex? I can't seem to grab the pivot point from it's centre to move it.

2. Is there a 'daylight' equivalent for vray? I want to create an animation of the sun movement casting shadows but am using vray.

Thank you very much in advance

If you go to "Hierarchy" tab on the right...where Draw..and Create is located. Under Hierarchy you will see "Pivot..IK..Link Info" Make Piviot active...just below the Pivot button...there is "Affect Pivot Only" Click that and you will be able to move your pivot point anywhere...just make sure you Click the "Affect Pivot Only" again when you are finished...or the commond will stay active.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I know I can do that, but I can't seem to grab the pivot from it's central point and drag it to snap to a vertex. How do I do this?

The only way I've ever found to do this is as follows:

1. Create a 'Dummy' object. Go to the "Create" pull down menu > Helpers > Dummy

2. Turn on your Snaps and make sure 'Pivot' and 'Vertex' are selected

3. Drag the 'Dummy' object to the vertex you want your Pivot to snap to. The 'Dummy' should snap to the vertex.

4. Select your object

5. Go to the Hierarchy panel

6. Click 'Affect Pivot Only'

7. Click the 'Align' button on your toolbar

8. Select the 'Dummy' object and the pivot should snap to the 'Dummy's' pivot point.

9. Delete the 'Dummy' object

Nice. Thanks very much. That worked. I would've thought there'd be an easier way as I imagine I'm not the only one that wants to do this.

Edit: Actually. Can't you just snap to pivot and drag the pivot and snap to vertex (without creating a dummy) ?

No, you can't snap the pivot and drag it to a vertex. There's no way to grab it precisely at the pivot point. The only way that I know how to do it, precisely, is the way I described previously. If someone knows of a better way, I would love to hear about it though.

No, you can't snap the pivot and drag it to a vertex. There's no way to grab it precisely at the pivot point. The only way that I know how to do it, precisely, is the way I described previously. If someone knows of a better way, I would love to hear about it though.

Somehow I can now. It I turn snaps (vertex and pivot) on, then Heirarchy > Affect Pivot Only, when I hover over the poly/spline it snaps to the pivot then I drag and snap to a vertex. It's working perfect now without and editable poly or spline (on Max Design 2009). :S

Hey, good find! :D

I can do it in Max 9 as well. :)

In Perspective View, if I hold down my left mouse button and then drag my cursor over to the pivot, when it gets close, it snaps to it. I've searched Max forums and tried to find a simple way to do this, but I always found the same answer of creating a dummy object. I wish I would have known this a long time ago. This is much easier.

Thanks for figuring that out. :thumbsup: