Dealing with Noobs

rustysilo

Well where I am, we find that upgrading systems and software is like banging our heads against a brick wall, management is upset at ineficiencies, but don't want to spend the money to make it more efficient.

"They want to fly but don't want to buy the ticket" as one co-worker put it.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• Strix

• rustysilo

• skipsophrenic

Noobs, they always ask simple stuff and often don't want to look but then they also don't know how or want to spend the hours and don't know much about how to use a search engine.

• 4 weeks later...

In my line of work I have grown to despise the 3d, it is costly, time consuming and of no real value when it comes to building a plant. There is a reason I can produce a set of drawings faster than everyone else and its because I do it in 2d. I think a lot of people get caught up in the glammer of 3d drawings and over look there practical use and I'm not saying that 3d does not have its uses because it certainly does. I get lots of these 3d civil drawings that I have to impliment in my drawings, which is fine, what ever floats there boats, I deal with it, flatten it and move on, but I'd have to say, they are a mess, if your going to do 3d, do it right and hirer the right personel. But I have to say it, for there simplicity, there is no need to waste time doing buildings in 3d.

i have to agree with daniel, we just did an entire project in AutoCad MEP, and guess what were doing now, making 2d drawings from all the 3d becasue the construction people dont want to see the 3d stuff they want what they know and understand. It was usefull to make sure one hvac ducts didnt run through med gas piping and so on but other then that it seemes like a huge expensive waste of time.

• 4 weeks later...
In the mean time' date=' the accountant, armed with the janitor's information about oil on the floor being the problem, makes a decision. Oil on the floor is the problem, so he eliminates the problem. He stops buying oil! He has no idea what the oil is for, or how it's getting on the floor, but the janitor says that's the cause of all the increased hazmat costs, so by jove, we just won't buy any more oil and all those problems go away. [/quote']

Hahahaha. You just detailed, explicitly, my company. And we're getting close to 1 million in sales...Don't ask me how :?

Not every project deserves to be done in 3D. But you match up the right project with 3D and you have a winner.

Ever forget to show hidden lines in a particular view?

Ever have the boss say, "Well that's nice but I really wanted to see a SW isometric or a bottom view (something out of the ordinary)?

Our first big use of 3D married the building drawing (ours) with the equipment drawing (vendor's) and it really helped sell the management on the whole concept we had in mind.

3D is an exceptional tool for designing piping in new or existing construction. It allows you to work out the interferences prior to construction. Once the design is done in 3D you can extract the ortho's and iso's with minimum cleanup needed. Saves manhours and the overhead of carrying more drafter's than are needed to accomplish the same design work in 2D.