What is the stangest thing you have ever used CAD for?

Guest vrichard

Guest vrichard

Hey there CAD buds,

I have recently just drawn the seating plan for my friends wedding using CAD. It had some nice litttle raster images, fancy text and I have to say I was pretty chuffed with it.

So it got me thinking.... has anyone else ever produced something other than normal CAD stuff with their CAD software?

I love CAD!!! :love:

Vics

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• hyposmurf

• Skeeps

• erona

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vrichard

It has to be said we are an exclusive breed of people us CAD-types 8). I don't know anybody else who enjoys their job as much as me! & all the CAD Technician's etc I know think CAD is great too.

Whenever I tell people I am a CAD Technician they always ask what that is.... & I think it's pretty cool having a job that not many people know about.

Cheers

Vics

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CadSince81

I built a matrix containing the list of pills my 80 yo mother has to take down the left side and the different times of day across the top. This could have been easier to do in Excel, but I dont have Excel.

• 2 months later...

I once made some personlised christmas wrapping paper for a friends lover. But more recently I created a colouring in book for my 6 year old daughter, loads of spirals and crazy shapes and pattens, pretty good fun for me too. :P

I'm curious now. :) What do they look like?Ive used the find and replace function to locate whether someone had missed something out of a specification.Copied and pasted the text and bingo, it showed up they included it.

Yes I think so :) .the specification software I was using had no searvh and find replace facilty.I had 100's of pages to wade through to see if something had been included.Copied the text I needed into AutoCAD and used its find and replace facailty to perform the task I required.I didnt create anything unusual in AutoCAD but its an alternative use for the software.

he he he... nice topic but an old one...

Well, I did a lot of crazy things with CAD. Recently, my boss' wife asked me to trace Barney and his friends and plot it on a 36" wide bookpaper for her kid's birtday party. I left her to color the whole thing. :lol:

Drawing scale buildings isn't odd, but my model railroader friend uses several of my drawings to make the model buildings on his railroad layout.

Does that count?

that's fantastic, in fact that's given me an idea. My daughter Lauren loves dolls houses, this might be an ace way of creating scaled furniture and saving on the pennies too, plus if she gets to decorate them that'll keep her busy while I go and do boring adult stuff.

wow, I'm going to get busy on that.

Thankyou.

xx

The "craziest" thing I've done in autocad (not really crazy but more of a waste of ink) is use it as a printer for another department at work that wanted a giant colored printout of a Christmas tree. Not only did it take a long time to print, I just cringed when I saw how much ink it used up. Otherwise, I've been pretty "normal" in my use of Autocad.

I'm sure when I get around to planning my wedding, I'll use autocad for the seating chart, etc. Can't wait!

Grace

Good luck on your wedding Gracie. I remember recreating in plan the seating arrangement for the reception after my wedding. It went perfectly on actual! :lol:

i luv cad... :heart:

• 7 months later...
Guest Bloodwig80

i drew a perspective view of a street with cars and people etc in cad. also did a take-off of my folks' house so they could go buy furniture with a plan view of the house...

Everytime my wife says "This room is boring. Can we re-arrange it?" I don't cringe. I get out the tape measure and draw in the furniture (I already have the house drawn into CAD) and rearrange it in CAD with her input. Saves my back.

I have also helped a former co-worker do a big over-the-counter menu for a Chinese Restaurant.

I have downloaded WWII maps from the archives, plopped a bunch into an Arch E border and plotted away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

My mum has started a cake decorating course and she wants me to build the cake she designed in 3D CAD before she builds it so she can see what it will look like.

I have also found that I prepare AutoCAD for creating the bare bones of website layout and artwork before I export to Photoshop.

I did my resume' on it since I didn't know 'Word' at the time.

also designed the logo for my dad's restaurant

digitized a picture of a womans house (so it looked like I hand drew it) and printed it on coffee cups and gave her one but changed the year till she had a full set

designed 2 christmas ornaments of diff dogs and had them lazered on round glass disks....

I'm sure there is more......