Reply of the month

wannabe

When we see a superb reply, one that helps us to do our job quickly, accurately or immensely better in anyway; or one that is just what you consider a superb piece of advice; you can nominate it.

At the end of the month we can then all deliberate and vote for our favourite.

The winner get's nothing - it's just for fun and to add a bit of interest to the forum.

I await the inexorable "shooting down".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• Lee Mac

• wannabe

This goes back to the same "Thread Rating" idea that we have discussed before. This type of thing will only encourage competition, and the last thing we need is everyone trying to "one up" each other in the threads. We are here to help and learn from each other, not compete for best question answerer.

If someone helps you solve your problem, just simply thank them. I don't think any of us are looking for anything more than that.

I think your logic trumps my rationale.

However, I will provide this forum with at least one useful suggestion... I will :D

If someone helps you solve your problem, just simply thank them. I don't think any of us are looking for anything more than that.

I, for one, would like a pony.

how about "rant of the month"? I could win that one! My wife calls me Dennis Miller about half the time ("I don't want to get on a rant here, but..")

no I disagree with cad64, everybody knows that competition brings out the best in people that is a known FACT, I think we should try a simple thanks system where if someone has helped another find a solution they get awarded a thanks point, we are all mature on this forum we don’t act like children I think it will only encourage better problem solving in the long run.

Will there be a point deduction for a "No thanks, your response did not solve my problem"? I'd be in the minus category right about now. LOL

Will there be a point deduction for a "No thanks, your response did not solve my problem"? I'd be in the minus category right about now. LOL

lol you robot

Na I think it would be a pretty kool idea.

how about "rant of the month"? I could win that one! My wife calls me Dennis Miller about half the time ("I don't want to get on a rant here' date=' but..")[/quote']

Who is Dennis Miller?

Kinda sounds similar to Yahoo! Answers ™. And actually, I've not seen too much infighting there over who gets chosen best answer...

Although, admittedly I do not peruse it often as many of the questions make me sad :(

+1 = Solved my problem.

-1 = Did not solve problem or made matters worse.

0 = Did not address the problem one way or the other (off topic?).

LOL

Dennis Miller is Roger Miller's ugly, younger brother.

I really don't see the point of competing for the "best answer of the month"?

1. Do you all realize how many replies are posted every day, let alone every month? Lee Mac and ReMark put up over 1,000 posts every month, all by themselves. How will you keep track of what was posted in order to vote on it?

2. How will you decide what was a good reply and what wasn't? If it solved the OP's problem, then it was a good reply, right?

IMO, this type of competition will only muddle the threads with everyone trying to put their 2 cents in while trying to top the previous reply.

If you guys truly want to compete against each other, then why don't you get involved in the competition forum and come up with different ways to pit your skills against each other. I think there was only one entry in the last comp?

I think we were actually wandering down the path of "what if" and having some fun with the topic. I for one really wasn't serious about establishing a point system. Just to clear up any confusion.

Can we have prizes instead? How about a trophy with a rainbow trout on it? Would that be too much along the lines of Bass Master?:lol::lol::lol:

Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, we do have a competition forum. If you guys want to vote on your favorite reply every month, there's nothing stopping you. You can start your own "Best Answer" thread in there, or in the chat section, and vote on your favorite reply.

I really just come here for a daily binge and purge of knowledge. If I wanted competition, I'd race lawnmowers.