Reply of the month

wannabe

"Lee Mac and ReMark put up over 1,000 posts every month, all by themselves."

That would explain why Lee Mac feel asleep in his physics class last week and why it's going to take me 6 months and not 6 weeks to finish my apartment renovation project.

Gad my fingers are killing me!

It might explain the double vision too.

Can we get frequent flyer miles instead?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• Lee Mac

• wannabe

Who is Dennis Miller?

He's a comedian that used to have a show on HBO. A talk show type of thing...think Johnny Carson, only R rated. He'd start out his monologue by bringing up some political or current affairs type subject, then preface it with "I don't want to get on a rant here, but....." and proceed to expound on whatever was right or wrong about it. He was usually interesting to listen to, even when he was wrong.

I have been known to occasionally take off on a tangent about something I feel strongly about, both in person and on a forum. Yes, I know I do it, and no, you won't offend me by making fun of me when I do.

Haha, this made me laugh... the things people do nowadays... :D

"Lee Mac and ReMark put up over 1,000 posts every month, all by themselves."

That would explain why Lee Mac feel asleep in his physics class last week and why it's going to take me 6 months and not 6 weeks to finish my apartment renovation project.

Gad my fingers are killing me!

It might explain the double vision too.

Well... I've fallen asleep in a few maths lectures... but not because of this site... if you know what I mean.. :P

LOL!

I have to agree with CAD64 on this one... This is a CAD forum and so often the problem isn't clear... We often need to probe a bit more to get a true vision of what the OP wants, sometimes a drawing is required... Then again, sometimes it's as straight forward as a single command... In my opinion there is too much diversity for this to work.

Does that make sense?

-1 point for me... :unsure:

He'd start out his monologue by bringing up some political or current affairs type subject' date=' then preface it with "I don't want to get on a rant here, but....." and proceed to expound on whatever was right or wrong about it. He was usually interesting to listen to, even when he was wrong.

[/quote']

My biggest issue with Dennis was how hard he tried to make sure he looked really really smart.

If I wanted competition, I'd race lawnmowers.
:? :huh: :unsure:

It's exactly like it sounds Skipso.

LOL!

I have to agree with CAD64 on this one... This is a CAD forum and so often the problem isn't clear... We often need to probe a bit more to get a true vision of what the OP wants, sometimes a drawing is required... Then again, sometimes it's as straight forward as a single command... In my opinion there is too much diversity for this to work.

Does that make sense?

-1 point for me... :unsure:

You could use the frequent flyer miles to go to the person's office and see what the problem is, and render a much more effective answer!

Oh my god, did this thread almost die. What's the downside of people competing to give you the best answer to your question? It's like two health insurance companies competing to give you better medical coverage for a lower premium. The only better thing would be universal coverage.

Personal opinion, i think it would create unneeded competitiveness and lead to disagreements further on about WHO's answer was the best.

1. Who's going to judge the answer and be completely impartial? - i couldn't

2. Who's to say any 1 answer's the best? we all know there's many ways to accomplish the same task in AutoCAD

3. If people feel like being competitive as stated earlier there's the competitions forum.

sorry if i went on a rant there, i'll stop now.

another who agrees with CAD64 here. I give the best answers I can whether I get brownie points or not.

what would be nice is a reward for people who could post concise questions. o:)

What's the downside of people competing to give you the best answer to your question?

The trouble is that some answers are not answering the question that was asked in the first place :shock:

The trouble is that some answers are not answering the question that was asked in the first place :shock:
some?

a big problem being the first question was not what should have been asked.

I think I am now inclined to agree with Rod also on this one - I proposed an idea similar to this in the "Was this helpful" thread some time ago - and similar points were brought forward.

I can see how this would affect the friendly atmosphere of the forum - everyone would be trying to pick holes in other people's posts and it would soon get irritating.

Some questions are worded so poorly or so vaguely it takes one of us asking several follow-up questions just to get at the root of the problem. It also doesn't help that as a world-wide resource having to translate broken English can make discerning the true nature of the question a task in and of itself.

I say we bring back dueling. Instead of pistols we'll substitute horseshoes. Bonk!

Autocad and its related products are by their very nature versatile, flexible and complex bits of software. A "best" answer is going to vary greatly according to how an individual uses the the software. Even that changes as time goes by, I do many things now differently than I did when I started. As you gain experience and develop you're own style of doing things what works for you may be awkward to someone else.

For example, the answer to "how do I copy and paste" from me might be "highlight the object you want to copy, hit ctrl-c, then hit ctrl-v and place the copied object where you want it." If you are a keyboard oriented person, that will be just the ticket. On the other hand, "click on edit, then copy, pick your object or objects, then click edit, then paste, and place the copy where you want" does exactly the same thing all with mouse clicks. A third way would be to use the tool bar buttons, and again achieve exactly the same result.

Which is the "best" answer? That will all be a matter of personal preference. After all those answers are in, someone may post a way of starting those commands from the little pop-up menu on the cursor. Some folks love the little cursor menu, me, I "curse" at the cursor menu, gets in my way. Still another will say "hit "co", then pick the stuff you want to copy, then pick a base point, then pick where you want it to land". This one gives you more control over where the copy starts and stops than the other ways. Is it better? Depends one what you're doing. I use that method all the time when I'm copying from one place to another in the same drawing, but you can't use that command from one drawing to the next. Oh yeah, the original question didn't specify whether the copy was taking place inside the drawing, or from one to another did it? See, that changes everything, now a whole new discussion happens on the various options for that condition.

I don't think you can narrow it down to a "best" answer. There are too many ways to do the same thing.

Autocad and its related products are by their very nature versatile' date=' flexible and complex bits of software. A "best" answer is going to vary greatly according to how an individual uses the the software. Even that changes as time goes by, I do many things now differently than I did when I started. As you gain experience and develop you're own style of doing things what works for you may be awkward to someone else.

For example, the answer to "how do I copy and paste" from me might be "highlight the object you want to copy, hit ctrl-c, then hit ctrl-v and place the copied object where you want it." If you are a keyboard oriented person, that will be just the ticket. On the other hand, "click on edit, then copy, pick your object or objects, then click edit, then paste, and place the copy where you want" does exactly the same thing all with mouse clicks. A third way would be to use the tool bar buttons, and again achieve exactly the same result.

Which is the "best" answer? That will all be a matter of personal preference. After all those answers are in, someone may post a way of starting those commands from the little pop-up menu on the cursor. Some folks love the little cursor menu, me, I "curse" at the cursor menu, gets in my way. Still another will say "hit "co", then pick the stuff you want to copy, then pick a base point, then pick where you want it to land". This one gives you more control over where the copy starts and stops than the other ways. Is it better? Depends one what you're doing. I use that method all the time when I'm copying from one place to another in the same drawing, but you can't use that command from one drawing to the next. Oh yeah, the original question didn't specify whether the copy was taking place inside the drawing, or from one to another did it? See, that changes everything, now a whole new discussion happens on the various options for that condition.

I don't think you can narrow it down to a "best" answer. There are too many ways to do the same thing.[/quote']

A good point Jack - and I like the "story" :P