• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• therock005

• NBC

• Pineapple

thanx for the link but i really dont get how it works.

So basically you assign annotation scales to different objects?

Cant you just set a main anotation scale so that each object scales down to that?

What does the scale at the bottom right do?

Also whats the VP scale?

Check this example. The one on the right is a viewport at 1'-0"=1'-0", the one on the left is the same at 6"=1'-0". Notice that all the dimension text, leader text and text are the same in both.

Yes i get what it does but i'm confused on how its being applied.

Is it intended for use in viewports and layouts?

Mostly, but can also be useful in Modelspace. I have started using annotation on all my drawings and still learning as I go. With MSLTSCALE = 1, linetypes in Model are scaled by the annotation scale.

From Help....

Objects that are commonly used to annotate drawings have a property called Annotative. This property allows you to automate the process of scaling annotations so that they plot or display at the correct size on the paper.

Instead of creating multiple annotations at different sizes and on separate layers, you can turn on the annotative property by object or by style, and set the annotation scale for layout or model viewports. The annotation scale controls the size of the annotative objects relative to the model geometry in the drawing.

The following objects are commonly used to annotate drawings and contain an annotative property:

• Text
  • Dimensions
  • Hatches
  • Tolerances
  • Multileaders
  • Blocks
  • Attributes

When the Annotative property for these objects is turned on (set to Yes), these objects are called annotative objects.

You define a paper size for annotative objects. The annotation scale you set for layout viewports and model space determines the size of the annotative objects in those spaces.

It is a feature that is well worth looking into.

Yes i get what it does but i'm confused on how its being applied.

Is it intended for use in viewports and layouts?

If you had bothered to read the tutorial i posted the link to, above; you would have seen in the first 3 sentences how it is to be applied.

I wonder why I bother sometimes.

If you had bothered to read the tutorial i posted the link to, above; you would have seen in the first 3 sentences how it is to be applied.

I wonder why I bother sometimes.

Even if you have not helped the Original poster, you may have helped many others that read this thread or search the question later. I plan on giving it a good look in the very near future myself. I already saved it to a folder. :thumbsup:

heh thanks for the confidence booster.

i'm new to annotation scaling too, but it was something i was determined to get to grips (pardon the pun) with asap.

heh thanks for the confidence booster.

i'm new to annotation scaling too, but it was something i was determined to get to grips (pardon the pun) with asap.

So far so good for me, it seems easy enough once you jump in to it. I haven't had any problems yet. Though, I am sure I will hit a few roadblocks along the way. Hopefully I will get a chance to go through your tutorial soon.

• 1 month later...
Check this example. The one on the right is a viewport at 1'-0"=1'-0", the one on the left is the same at 6"=1'-0". Notice that all the dimension text, leader text and text are the same in both.

Recently found this thread while searching for some answers myself. Is there anyway you could attach the AutoCAD file that generated this jpg? I've read through all these tutorials but am still having issues. It would help if I could dissect some else's file and see how everything is set up

Thanks,

Dan

No, that one cannot be posted. To be honest, the best way to get the hang of annotation scale is to start working with a drawing and changing it to different scales etc. and observing the text changes. Just keep working through the tutorials you will get the hang of it. Try doing a search on CADTutor forums for some of the RSS feeds pertaining to annotation scaling.

Ok I'll keep playing with it. I want to switch our company over to just using Annotative objects for text, dimensions, leaders, hatches... the works :lol:

Oh they're dirty! I've been messing around this these things all day and I think i've pretty much got the hang of it. I'm still getting a little confused on Annotative Dimensions. Should the text style associated with the dim style also be annotative? Also, I'm not sure how the values that you set for things like arrow size and dimension line offset are implemented. Are these now the values as they will appear in Paper Space?

Thanks again

I'm still hung up on this... should the text style associated with the dimension style also be annotative? Also, are values such as "Arrow Size" the size they will appear in paper space or model space or does this change depending on whether the style is Annotative or not? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I use 2010 ver. acad.dwt to draw 2 circles with radius 50 and 2.

Then I make 2 dimradius and change the dimension scale up to 10.

Here is my problem.

I need 2 Viewports in a layout with different scale 1:1 and 4:1 and wish both dimensions be the same size..

So I create a new dimension style with annotation and change the small one but when I drop down the viewport scale and select 4:1 in the status bar but the arrow and text is too small to read.

What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestion will be appreciate.

I'm still hung up on this... should the text style associated with the dimension style also be annotative? Also, are values such as "Arrow Size" the size they will appear in paper space or model space or does this change depending on whether the style is Annotative or not? Thanks!

We use annotative dims + multi leaders all the time they are a breath of fresh air once you get into them and trust me you will never look back! In answer to your question when you are setting up your annotative dim style you don't need your text to be annotative. In Dim style manager click on your 'FIT' tab and under 'Scale for dim feature' click 'Annotative' box. Now when you change your annotation scale your dims should follow scale sccordingly.

Hope this helps.