Anyone else find Inventor the most frustrating program ever?

Hickoz_bro

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hickoz_bro

• JD Mather

• Lazer

• shift1313

• 5 years later...

Inventor is the worst developed CAD software around.

Everytime there is an issue, as you can see in the posts of the Autodesk forum, the answer is a workaround that will get broken as soon as you make a change to your model. When it doesn't crash it doesn't work... Proper garbage, and I really can't understand how they managed to get such a large portion of the market share, I guess they must have been half decent when all you had back in the days was wireframe and limited functionality.

Even some of the basic don't work, really appalling.... I've been looking for a new position and if the company uses Inventor, I just skip it, I actually turned down jobs where they use it....

If you're in a decision making position, my advice is scrap inventor and use Solidworks or NX, even considering that you may have to rebuilt your product library, in the long run it would be beneficial.

I've been working with it on a daily basis for the last couple of years and now I'm bald ... been pulling out my hair too much out of frustration lol

All the best of luck to the Inventor users out there.... I feel your pain... Stay strong...

• 2 months later...

100% the worst.
I've got 14 years SW experience and now am using inventor as well.
it is the worst. avoids helpful features. avoids innovation.

and when you look through the forums for answers to your questions,
the attitude is always, "I see why you would want that feature, but you can just do this long winded workaround instead."
it feels like using SW 15 years ago.
SW isn't perfect. but its problems are with glitches, not functionality.

Edited by Raja Dahya
forgot to write something

• 4 months later...
On 12/3/2007 at 5:39 AM, Hickoz_bro said:

This is pretty much just a RANT... please go easy if your gonna flame me... don't wanna turn it it into a full scale flame war.

Okay, so i'm not gonna claim to be a CAD expert of any degree, i've been drafting now for just over a year, spent 6 months+ working with Mechanical Desktop, and managed to learn crap loads in that time, and have spent the last 4months or so pulling my hair out with inventor... my biggest gripe is that everytime i tell someone how much better mechanical desktop is, they say "yeah.. well inventor is parametric"... WOOOPTY FARKING DOOO!! so far i've found that you need to put SOOOo much effort into constructing your model in such a way as to predict any changes your likely to make. otherwise when you change a dimension, your mate constraints chuck a spazz, and you spend the next 5 mins correcting your constraints... then if you decide to change something back, you do it all again... mechanical desktop on the other hand has simple commands... like MOVE... and COPY... and SUBTRACT etc etc... it means that if you decide to change a part, everything else is uneffected... if you want them to change as well... then you change them as well...

i have to admit, i admire the ability to use reference data in drawings, but the few advantages i've seen FAAAAR outweigh the disadvantages... i honestly can't see why inventor would be the prefered option over someting like Mechanical Desktop...

in Inventor customisation means learning VBA... mechanical dektop you learn LISP (took me almost 2 days to get the basics).

and another thing... is it just me, or is inventor the least stable program you've ever used??? i've had it crash on me HEAPS AND HEAPS of times when i'm doing stupid things like.. ZOOM, or... LINE... makes me wanna slam my head on the keyboard...

even the guys at work that have been using it for years curse it... i mean... HELLO... what about AUTOSAVE??? i've even had the computer crash when i was trying to save!!! meanwhile... if i use mechanical desktop, i can import dodgy SAT or IGES files, and then try doing operations like explode, and it'll just sit there chewing away until it's done... inventor on the other hand doesn't even offer similar operations...

and my final gripe... mechanical desktop allows you to work with 3DSOLIDS and PARTS... meaning you can manipulate solids SOOOOO much easier.... inventor only lets you do parts... and then not very well...

has anyone got solutions to my gripes? or gripes to add? am i the only one out there???a

Have you checked to ensure that your computer system meets the requirements recommended for Inventor?

Yes, some computers will run Inventor, even though they do not.

But, that could be the problem. 

Autodesk lists what specs your computer should have, as a minimum.

At one point, I worked for a company that ran Inventor for years, then later switched to Solidworks. Using the same computers (we did not change them out), no matter which drafting software we used, we did not experience the issues you listed.

Edited by vertical horizons

• 1 month later...

I been using CAD for over 30 years. Used Autocad for 25 years, Solidworks for 12 years. I been using Inventor on and off for 3 years. Here is my professional review of Inventor. "IT SUCKS"

On 5/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, Ozzy123 said:

I been using CAD for over 30 years. Used Autocad for 25 years, Solidworks for 12 years. I been using Inventor on and off for 3 years. Here is my professional review of Inventor. "IT SUCKS"

Can you be a little bit more specific, rather than just saying, "IT SUCKS"?

That's a little too broad of a statement. 

• 1 year later...

Yes! Inventor and Fusion 360 are the two worst CAD programs I have ever used. Sadly, I need to use them for the time being.

Sketching something that will eventually be closed for extrusion is nearly impossible! Contraints are insanely annoying and persistently interrupting the design flow. I literally have to design the same thing 10 to 20 times to get it to extrude properly. I HATE THIS PROGRAM!