2010 MEP To install or not...

LifeoRiley0

We received 2010 MEP recently and have yet to install it, has anyone else out there installed it yet? If so what are the pro's and con's in your opinion? If you haven't installed it yet, why not?

We received 2010 MEP recently and have yet to install it, has anyone else out there installed it yet? If so what are the pro's and con's in your opinion? If you haven't installed it yet, why not?

hmm, I thought it wasn't until another week for the MEP version to come out. As soon as I get it its being installed. :)

hmm, I thought it wasn't until another week for the MEP version to come out. As soon as I get it its being installed. :)

We got our MEP last week, Monday or Tuesday I think. I would like to hear how your install goes and what you think of it, after all you are kind of the MEP guru around here:D.

I installed it last week with no issue's (remember to go 'advanced' and click the radio button for express tools)

I open MEP and saw the new look but have not touched it since. Maybe tonight

First time hoping on the newly installed 2010. Honestly, i hate the fact that they are forcing you to "love" and embrace the ribbon menu. I really dont think it is that much better honestly. Its bulky and in the way most of the time.

*edit:

my main question is actually, is has anyone figured out how to regain the classic menu view. The the horizontal buttons. none of this drop down menu or scroll windows. I want to be able to have everything right there visible without having to shuffle through 8 different options and poke and prob at however many different sub menus in order to get to what i need. Like setting the UCS to the current view or changing the preset iso view under appearance.

MEP isn't really that different to vanilla autocad, just read up on it, I sometimes use MEP nothing major in changes in the newer one either.

Just to post a reply to my last post. There is a fix for the classic UI issue if anyone else prefer that to the new ribbon deal. In MEP there is no option to switch back to classic view and acad has posted this on the discussion board.

since i have not posted 9 times yet, it is located on Atuocad discussion form under the tread = 2010 UI issues

Should be the 24th post down...there is a file to DL, instructions are included and they install just seamlessly. Regain your old menu tabs like before so it doesnt feel like your playing a video game.

MEP isn't really that different to vanilla autocad, just read up on it, I sometimes use MEP nothing major in changes in the newer one either.

you ARE kidding right? MEP is hard as hell compared to plain jane acad if you understand its capabilities and it's meant to be used. Especially since the documentation is about nonexistant. I've only been on it for about a year (compared to the 20 with acad) and it's one big rabbit hole....... .

• 2 weeks later...

i dont like the new look in 2010, publish to pdf is a good feature tho,,,

"SmD71nG"

You can switch to autocad classic view via workspace switching ...? may be am wrong..

you ARE kidding right? MEP is hard as hell compared to plain jane acad if you understand its capabilities and it's meant to be used. Especially since the documentation is about nonexistant. I've only been on it for about a year (compared to the 20 with acad) and it's one big rabbit hole....... .

no i dont think its THAT DIFFERENT as you put, yes it is a different program but it has the samw foundation etc. it's just vanilla modded with extras, they all are.

no i dont think its THAT DIFFERENT as you put, yes it is a different program but it has the samw foundation etc. it's just vanilla modded with extras, they all are.

Ritch, I don't wanna ruffle any feathers but I've been messing with AutoCAD MEP for almost two years now and I'm only just now breaking into probably 5-10% of its capabilities. I have to back dum a little bit. It's got tools and options unimaginable compared to vanilla AutoCAD. Not to put you down or anything but it seems that you might have used it but not really dove in deep enough on some of the features it has.

I have to agree with Styk here. MEP is a massive program when compared to Vanilla. Huge benefits to using it when doing MEP work. Calculations and all that which are just not do-able in Vanilla.

I have to agree with Styk here. MEP is a massive program when compared to Vanilla. Huge benefits to using it when doing MEP work. Calculations and all that which are just not do-able in Vanilla.

for starters it comes with Architechtural on top of it which in and of itself is huge. I have MEP 2010 and am terrified of it since I have barely scratched the surface of 2009. (btw, we are using MEP on a $500M plant upgrade and even with a 12 man team and probably a few hundred years of acad experience between.... we have barely put a dent in it)

I don't even know how to begin to argue about it quite frankly :?

for starters it comes with Architechtural on top of it which in and of itself is huge. I have MEP 2010 and am terrified of it since I have barely scratched the surface of 2009. (btw, we are using MEP on a $500M plant upgrade and even with a 12 man team and probably a few hundred years of acad experience between.... we have barely put a dent in it)

I don't even know how to begin to argue about it quite frankly :?

I hope you have a dual 150GHz Octa-Core processor, 120GB of RAM, and 8 QuadroFX95,000,000 running SLI mode to handle that CAD file. :)

I hope you have a dual 150GHz Octa-Core processor, 120GB of RAM, and 8 QuadroFX95,000,000 running SLI mode to handle that CAD file. :)

18 trigawatts of power too (baby!) :D

sorry for the late reply, but yeah... it does suck a little power. lol

check my computer stats. dual quad-core processors (3.4 Xeons), Quadro FX 5800 (4GB vid memory), and 16 GB of RAM. we called up dell and told them to send us the biggest, baddest box of goodies they could put together. they did. lol

Autodesk keeps blaming our crashing issues on the graphics card. i find it hard to believe since from what I understand, NVidia built the damn card FOR autodesk, but AD has yet to support it. maybe i'm wrong, but if you were to take a compny's hand and sit them down to tell them exactly what you want/need out of a $4,000 video card, wouldn't you want to put it to testing ASAP? it came out in Novemeber, and some of the techs from autodesk havn't even heard of it yet... go figure.

2010 seems to be a more stable platform from where I am sitting, but I have yet to really crank on it. I was crashing 2009 on an hourly, if not semi-hourly basis with 8-10 MB files (2D/3D wireframe). with 2010, i think i can count the crashes on one hand and those were on fully rendered 25 MB+ files.

after you figure out what you have to download and install into your system for the original toolbar, it works great. I hate the ribbon with a passion, and have yet to understand why AutoDesk makes their clients add things into the directories to make it work like we are/were used to... am I out of my mind, but if I pay $5,000 for a piece of software, shouldn't it come with everything on the disk? why do i have to go to the website, download a file or two, unzip it, try to locate the correct folder, install it, pray that it works, open MEP, find out that I screwed it up somehow, go back and fix it, THEN I get to finally use it?

oh well... even though i do a lot of complaining about it, i would still use MEP over 99% of the add-on software packages. just personal opinion. to me, AutoDesk puts out the best software packages for my industry (MEP)

Later,

Andy

Well I bit the bullet and finally installed MEP 2010 today and it this has been the smoothest upgrade I have ever done. The first thing I did was get rid of the ribbon and go back to the "classic" look. 95% of my settings migrated over and the remaining stuff was easily fixed, as a side note ....the first time I closed a drawing ( just something I was messing around with to check stuff out) Auto CAD crashed! At least they didn't get rid of that feature! Although I am already missing the collisiondetection feature.