Deleting construction lines.

cvriv.charles

Mr. Mather,... I am thinking about what you said about not deleting contruction lines. What again is the purpose for not deleting them?

I am recreating a model I made in AC09. It's a very simple model. I have a few construction lines I am using. Not many. I want to delete them in the worst way possible. They are very cumbersome looking even through there's only a few of them.

I am having trouble understanding why I should keep them? Even though I closed out the contraint symbols leaving only the lines and their dimensions,... it's to much.

Is there a way I can hide them? INV doesn't have layers?!?!? GAWD.

I can't imagine what a complex model would look like with lines everywhere! Are there certain lines that can be deleted and some that should be kept?

Thanks for your help.

Well of course you can delete them if not needed. I would need to see an example to say where I would use and where not. But I like to use construction lines in certain cases to visually show how the model was constrained. I think when I made that comment the construction lines were actually useful.

Follow this thread

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34738

and see if you can reproduce as I go along.

You will see in the image of the first sketch some construction lines that aren't technically needed but they help envision the geometric relations. This is particularly important a year from now when someone else has to come along and edit unfamiliar work done by someone else.

In reality I use more construction lines now than I ever did since leaving the drawing board 20 years ago.

i frequently use construction lines and of course you can hide them. in your design tree if you right click on the sketch that contains them, just select(uncheck) visibility.

i frequently use construction lines and of course you can hide them. in your design tree if you right click on the sketch that contains them, just select(uncheck) visibility.

Oh sweet. Thats right. I can put them on another sketch and hide it that way. Kind of like a layer.

Mather I will try and recreate what you linked me. I'll get back to you on it. Might take me a bit. I actually had to send my laptop in to be fixed:( I do most of my work on it.

Anyways, thanks.

Yea weill I revolved a sketch and the sketch was hidden afterwards. But if I have to refer to that sketch again for sizes,... it's so much nicer just seeing the original sketch with dimensions only. Not a bunch of construction lines everything and there dimensions etc.

I will just have to decide if I need the construct lines or not. If I do I will just create another sketch for construction lines for a certain plane. I think. I dont know. I just have to keep using INV and soon enough I will figure out what im ok with I guess.

you can measure in model space without applying dimensions to your model.

What do you need as a reference as far as your numbers? You can project geometry from other sketches into your new sketch plane and make them construction lines so you can constrain or dimension with them.

If you open the parameters window it will give you every dimension used in the file and it's name so that you can use them in functions.