just upgraded to AutoCAD 2010 MEP...and I'm confused

blazerspeed

Ok guys, I need a little guidance on this one. We are upgrading the entire office to 2010 MEP from 2009 MEP. I wanted to review the changes first so that I could help out some of our staff when we make the change. After installing I noticed some pretty basic things that I need pointers on. I realize these are simple questions, but I was not given a manual with the software and am pretty much doing this blind.

1) Where is the standard (File Edit View etc) menu bar? When I type MENUBAR and select (1) all i get is a script saying no menu loaded? Do I have to re-create the standard menu in the CUI now?

2) Is there a way to change the look to AutoCAD Classic? Most of the people here, myself included, prefer the toolbar buttons over the ribbon layout, so I wanted to give that option to them. This is not an option under the workspace settings, and I was not sure if it had been moved/removed all together.

3) Is 2010 still 2009 based? We use secondary software (PDFin) to change PDF files back into DWGs, and it doesn't seem to work with 2010. Were there major programming changes between 2009 and 2010? When we made the change from 2006 to 2007, we never had this problem.

Anything you guys can help me out with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Derek-

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• dumfatnhappy

• blazerspeed

• GE13579

Regarding point 2, can you click the red A in the top left corner and go Tools, Workspaces? Sorry I don't have a clue just throwing a thought out there...

Might be worth reinstalling?

Regarding point 2, can you click the red A in the top left corner and go Tools, Workspaces? Sorry I don't have a clue just throwing a thought out there...

Might be worth reinstalling?

no need to re-install.... I'm afraid it is what it is. I'm having the SAME issues not having any manuals (dejavue'.....just like with MEP 2009 go figure) :x

Ok guys, I need a little guidance on this one. We are upgrading the entire office to 2010 MEP from 2009 MEP. I wanted to review the changes first so that I could help out some of our staff when we make the change. After installing I noticed some pretty basic things that I need pointers on. I realize these are simple questions, but I was not given a manual with the software and am pretty much doing this blind.

1) Where is the standard (File Edit View etc) menu bar? When I type MENUBAR and select (1) all i get is a script saying no menu loaded? Do I have to re-create the standard menu in the CUI now?

2) Is there a way to change the look to AutoCAD Classic? Most of the people here, myself included, prefer the toolbar buttons over the ribbon layout, so I wanted to give that option to them. This is not an option under the workspace settings, and I was not sure if it had been moved/removed all together.

3) Is 2010 still 2009 based? We use secondary software (PDFin) to change PDF files back into DWGs, and it doesn't seem to work with 2010. Were there major programming changes between 2009 and 2010? When we made the change from 2006 to 2007, we never had this problem.

Anything you guys can help me out with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Derek-

1.) right click in a space at the top and I think its called STANDARD. you should be able to do it this way, even in MEP

2.) yes look at this, it may differ to your MEP with the update of 2010 but it should work, it includes getting rid of the ribbon, snap, ortho etc back to words, and lots of other stuff http://www.blog.cadnauseam.com/2008/03/27/autocad-2009-putting-things-back-to-normal/

3. All autocad 2010 products now have a newer drwg. system year, basically where it will save as 2010 and people with older versions won't be able to view them, its a trick autodesk do, just choose an earlier version when asked to save as, and additonally set it to default, this should help your problem out on that one.

Regards

Thanks for all the responses. I actually found out that 2010 MEP does not support the older style menu bar and tool bars.

!!!HOWEVER!!!!

I did manage to stumble across a forum on the Autodesk page with people just like me complaining of change :)

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=722277&tstart=-1

if you scroll through the comments, some one uploaded a ZIP file from Autodesk that includes all the necessary partial load files, as well as instructions to add them. Unfortunately it is 882KB, and I can't upload it here for everyone, so instead I just gave you guys the link. After installing these, you regain the use of the standard menu bar, as well as all of the classic style tool bars. Hopefully AutoDesk will add this as part of the first service pack for 2010.

Wow, looks like NOBODY is liking the Ribbons in that link you posted to the Autodesk message boards. I personally haaaaate Ribbons in any program. I can't stand clutter, and I want to maximize screen real estate, and hand picking little bitty icons and arranging them how I want them is exactly what I want. Not some bulky hung-of-junk "utility bar" that creates an organizational mess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

by the big a there are few buttons for new open etc. then you will see one that kind of looks like an eject button click on it and a drop down window will appear near the bottom you will se sho menu bar click on it and you will have the old menu bar above all the new buttons. hope that helps

...menu bar click on it and you will have the old menu bar above all the new buttons...

This can also be toggled by the MENUBAR variable.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a service pack for the architecture version of autocad 2010.

The one in the tread mentioned earlier is for MEP.

I am having the same prob where it says no tools displayed everytime I try the MENUBAR command and press 1. Nothing... I hate this ribbion crap... help

• 3 weeks later...

I have chased the problem around for a while and could not find the old (pre2010MEP) to select ACAD rather than MEP. This is because MEP fails to provide a "Classic Layout" option. By selecting the red "A" top left of display the options tag is at the bottom of the display, select this and by choosing the "Profiles" tab one can select the ACAD profile.

Having reset the system to ACAD the Workspace tab at the bottom right of the display enables the user to select Autocad Classic layout.

This is great if you do not need the engineering of MEP like me.

Good luck

I have chased the problem around for a while and could not find the old (pre2010MEP) to select ACAD rather than MEP. This is because MEP fails to provide a "Classic Layout" option. By selecting the red "A" top left of display the options tag is at the bottom of the display, select this and by choosing the "Profiles" tab one can select the ACAD profile.

Having reset the system to ACAD the Workspace tab at the bottom right of the display enables the user to select Autocad Classic layout.

This is great if you do not need the engineering of MEP like me.

Good luck

user_online.gif report.gif progress.gif

• 2 months later...
reinsert the CD and do an 'Add Features' and install the AutoCAD profile, which is the "classic" autocad profile.

hey Styke, this work for MEP too?

No, don't use the installer. Keep the disc in, go to the Control Panel and Add/Remove programs (or Programs and Features if you have Vista). Go to the AutoCAD MEP, highlight it, and hit the Uninstall/Change button. Then click the Add or Remove features. :)

dude, all I did was a migration from 2009... problem I had was the HVAC workspace is default which I never use...I clicked on my old workspace and wala!

I appreciate you killin me like that...couldn't have found it without ya !