Flatshot question

soonerfan

I am using the FLATSHOT command (2008) and having some trouble. The resulting 2D image is missing quite a few components from the 3D image. I got the 3D image from the OEM, so I do not know what they have done with the drawing. I am not exactly an expert at 3D so the solution may be simple and any help would be appreciated.

I did make sure all the layers were on and not frozen, but that is about as far as my knowledge on the subject goes.

Thanks

From AutoCAD Help:

"A flattened view is generated with the following parameters:

• All 3D objects in the model space viewport are captured. Place objects you don’t want captured on layers that are turned off or frozen.
  • Flattened views are created as blocks that can be renamed and edited using BEDIT.
  • The generated block is based on the display settings for Foreground and Obscured Lines in the Flatshot dialog box.
  • Hidden lines are captured and displayed in the block using the display settings for Obscured Lines in the Flatshot dialog box.
  • 3D objects that have been sectioned by section objects are captured in their entirety. FLATSHOT captures these objects as if they were not sectioned."

I have used the flatshot command before with no problem. I am trying to create a flatshot of a rack and when I create the flatshot only the top and bottom show up. The sides, door, etc... are all missing. I am creating the flatshot in a new drawing file. Is this the reason it will not work?

The entire drawing is broken up into many blocks, but why are some showing up in the 2D but others are not. I cannot find any real obvious distinction b/n the blocks, but my knowledge here is limited.

Thanks again

flatshot only works on 3d geometry that are either solid or surfaces...are the doors 3D geometry or simply lines drawn in 3D?..

• 2 years later...

Like hazardman stated, flatshot will only work with 3D solids/surfaces. It will omit anything that is a block, so you may have to explode some blocks to turn them back into 3D solids for flatshot to capture the missing parts. Just remember not to save the file after exploding if you intend to keep them as blocks.

Like hazardman stated, flatshot will only work with 3D solids/surfaces. It will omit anything that is a block, so you may have to explode some blocks to turn them back into 3D solids for flatshot to capture the missing parts. Just remember not to save the file after exploding if you intend to keep them as blocks.

In my experience, as long as the geometry is a 3D solid, flatshat will capture it whether or not it's contained within a block.

That said, it has to be a solid or a surface. Things like polyface meshes and possibly "body"s won't react properly with flatshot.

On a separate note, 5 MB? That looks like a simple object for such a file size.