Uncontrolable Regenerating

Coosbaylumber

Recently have been working with drawings in the size of 50 M. to 450M.

Looks good when I open it up next day. Zoomed into where it was last left. So, OK then.

I got the information I had been waiting for, so make a few one minute changes then.

Then as a quick check I do a

z (Zoom)

a (all)

Out to the limits of the drawing, and I get a message "Regenerating due to change in drawing extents". Then again. Then again and again. This goes on forever. Never stops. It gives the message and begins to regenerate once again. Soon as the drawing is showing 100% it blanks off, the message comes up and the lines start coming up little by little again.

Keyboard and mouse goes dead and only way I can stop the computer is to unplug from the wall.

If I go back to the same drawing again two minutes later, it is Zoomed all the way out to limits. Like as requested ten minutes earlier. And I can then go ahead and do editing as per normal.

This only happens on large sized files. Never on the 20 M and smaller ones.

Wm.

Never heard of that one. The obvious questions now are which version of autocad, what operating system, what processor, how much ram, and what sort of video set up? All of these things could have a hand in something like that.

Would you be willing to email or post to a FTP site one of the drawings you're having trouble with so I can see if I can recreate the problem? If you can't do that for whatever reason, do you have access to a different computer to try it on?

It is hapening on a computer running Release 14 under Win 98 right now. At Computer board they said problem is in memory set up or one bad module. As it only happens on BIG files, that pointed them to memory right off. Was at 256 and yanked all of it out, found an old module and am now running it on 64. Get error messages all over the place on other softwares, but is very slow now but no repeating going on. Fires off only once, and then asks for a command as per days of old.

Wondering if one module is bad or they all.

Wm.

256 mb of Ram? You must be using a fairly old (in computer terms) machine as well. If one or more of your memory modules have gone bad, you may be hard pressed to find some a machine that old can use. Most of the motherboards from that period won't take the larger modules available today. May be time to start looking at newer machine. The big retailers have laptops these days in the 300-400 dollar range that will run circles around what you are using now. You can get in a desktop pc with new monitor that by comparison will be leaps and bounds ahead of that one for around 700. The increase in speed will pay for the machine. If you are still using a CRT monitor, the savings in electricity alone that will come with the new LCD monitor will pay for the machine in 18-24 months. I was running a 21" CRT monitor that between my kids, my wife and myself, the thing was on continuously doing homework, drafting, surfing the net etc for probably 20 hours a day, 7 days a week. I switched to a flat panel 19" LCD monitor just to gain some desk space, and my electric bill went down an average of 22 bucks a month.

I'm a great one for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but this failure is only a warning sign of things to come. If your business depends on this machine, I'd get another in and get it set up and debugged before that one dies.

How do you get a 450M file even to load on R14 with Win98. Wow must take forever.

They all seem to get smaller each time you open them up. If only thing I do is type in PURGE, then the file gets smaller, and opens up quicker each time then. The very first time I may loose nearly 100 M. of file space after tying in a PURGE. That cuts the opening time for sure.

Once files get below 30 or 20 K, they open up within a few seconds.

Wm.

If one purge gets rid of 100 megabytes of information, and you subsequently get the files down to 20 or 30 kilobytes with more purges, then you got a lot, and I mean a lot of wasted space on what ever drive you are storing these files in. If I were you, I'd write a lisp file that once started, would open each file in what ever directory you choose, purge all that useless information out (run purge a dozen times at least to get all the stuff), do a zoom all, then save and close that drawing, and do it again on the next one. I'm not the guy to help you write that routine, but there are several on here that can. If you're purging out an average of 400 megabytes of information, think what you'd gain in just 100 drawings. Then do a defrag on your hard drive. This would speed up your entire system dramatically. You'd think you got a new computer!

Once you get that done, you need to figure out why all that stuff is there in the first place and stop it from happening.

Well, Jack, as these files tend to be mainly linework at the time they are so huge, what I do to intitiate a biggie file size reduction is to lie to the computer software, and have it do a "Save-as" some early version. This really cuts the file size down then. After that, I forget to so such, and it grows back a bit, but still not a huge was that very first time. Once I had a 150 mb reduction in file size, but more often it is in range of 2-5 mb. they get smaller each time.

The files tend to hover around 60 mb for a long time, even after getting rid of spots and other useless items.

Wm.