Creating Contours?

clarku19

Simple question here. While I do not consider myself new to AutoCAD, I have always used another program to create contours which I then bring into AutoCAD. A lot of my work deals with hundreds of thousands or even millions of survey points. AutoCAD could never handle this many points. Maybe it can now though, not sure.

Anyway, I now have a relatively small data set that I assume AutoCAD can handle. Using Map 3D 2006, how are contours generated in AutoCAD? I must be an idiot, because the Help does not get me anywhere. I'm assuming it's something along the lines of import points, create surface, generate contours?

If there's a simple tutorial written on here, I may have missed it. Thanks for your help.

Guest Alan Cullen

In Australia, last year, Map replaced Land Desktop. So I would have thought that if Land Desktop can do it, then so can Map. But I definitely wouldn't be too sure there.

Map comes with LDD. They install together (if you buy LDD). Not sure what you get if you buy Map alone...

I have both on my machine and use whatever one has the tools I need that day.

I need to do the same thing and also have Map 3D (2006 & 2008) so would be interested in a solution. I had a look at contours in the Help but got lost.

Dave

The menu's for point and surface creation are there, but they don't work on mine...:?

I click them and get Unknown command "AECCCREATEPOINTS". Press F1 for help.

It shows how to do it in the help file though. Search for "import points" and "surface" and you'll find all you need.

I need to do the same thing and also have Map 3D (2006 & 2008) so would be interested in a solution. I had a look at contours in the Help but got lost.

Dave

You need Land Desktop or Civil 3d...

Thanks for the replies. Well, I guess I feel better now because I was surprised that I couldn't even come close to figuring out how to do contours in Map. The fact that it's not possible is, well, good. :)

Anyway, the reason I went with Map in the first place is because most of the time AutoCAD (Land or Civil) couldn't handle the amount of points I generally deal with.

I guess I'll look into Surfer or Terramodel, unless there's an add on to Map that anyone knows of...that can bring in millions of points if needed.

Thanks again!

Heh. I had opened up Land Enabled Map and I assumed that F1 would bring up Map help, but no, it brings up Land Desktop help. Pff. No wonder it showed how to create surfaces and contours.

However, Land Enabled Map does have Points and Surfaces menu's under the Map 3D Civil workspace.

Heh. I had opened up Land Enabled Map and I assumed that F1 would bring up Map help, but no, it brings up Land Desktop help. Pff. No wonder it showed how to create surfaces and contours.

However, Land Enabled Map does have Points and Surfaces menu's under the Map 3D Civil workspace.

Yeah, I actually added a new button to mt main toolbar for the regular AutoCAD help... I got tired of hunting for it.

Do you know if AutoCAD 2008 beefed up the ability to bring in large numbers of points? Sometimes millions? While also being able to contours/spot elevation them?

At some point I'm going to need to upgrade to 08, but I'd prefer not to do it now if I don't have to.

Thanks.

I would assume that it is perfectly capable of doing this. I had a large file with lots of points I was working with in Civil 3D '06 which was giving me troubles. I thought I may have needed more RAM, but '08 handles it fine. Strange, but true.

• 3 years later...

HELLO

I HAVE LARGE AMOUNT OF STOCKPILE AND I NEED TO CALCULATE THE VOLUME, I STARTED PLOTING THE DATA TO LDD 2006 AND JOIN THE POINTS WITH POLYLINE, CREATED LAYERS, SURFACING, AND CONTOUR OF 2m INTERVAL WHAT CAN DO NEXT TO BE ABLE TO CALCULATE VOLUME OF THE STOCKPILE?

HELLO

I HAVE LARGE AMOUNT OF STOCKPILE AND I NEED TO CALCULATE THE VOLUME, I STARTED PLOTING THE DATA TO LDD 2006 AND JOIN THE POINTS WITH POLYLINE, CREATED LAYERS, SURFACING, AND CONTOUR OF 2m INTERVAL WHAT CAN DO NEXT TO BE ABLE TO CALCULATE VOLUME OF THE STOCKPILE?

It is probably better you start your own thread (although props to you for using the search function here) for your own problem. You need two surfaces (one for the stockpile) and to then subtract that from your other surface. The difference will be the stockpile volume.