Please help w/ new LCD monitor choice!

manyee

Hi guys,

I need help to find a new LCD monitor for work.

I'll be using it for AutoCAD and possibly some 3D work like Revit, SketchUp.

My company gives me a budget of $400-450 max to get a new monitor.

I prefer 24" widescreen but 22" should be ok if it has better features.

Should be good for long time viewing and good viewing angle.

What would be the best monitor I can get within that budget?

Also which one is better, 4:3 or 16:9 ratio?

My manager suggest me to get Planar but with that budget I can only get 20" :(

So, please help me to choose and possibly the link where I can get that item asap.

Thanks,

This is in no way a product endorsement but...

I have a Samsung 245BW 24" LCD and it works great for me (especially when paired with a 19" LCD). Consider getting 2 monitors, you won't regret it.

I use a 24" main and a 20" secondary. So I concur with the 2 monitor option if you can swing it. I have a budget Dell 22" at home and it is great! Less than $300 US dollars if I recall correctly.

I agree with lpseifert. 2 monitors is the ONLY way to go!! I have 2-22" Dell's. All my toolbars are on 1 monitor, so it frees up the other for only the drawing.

Thanks for the replies.

Before this goes further into dual monitor discussion,

I need to clarify that for this time being the company won't buy me 2 monitors. :(

So my only option is one good monitor with enough screen estate.

That's why I opt for 24" widescreen.

So, any suggestion for good 24" widescreen LCD below $450?

Thanks,

Ok so I've found out these 24" LCD that are priced under $450:

- HP Pavilion W2408h (glossy screen)

- Samsung 245BW

- Samsung 2493HM

- Acer P241WBD (this has the fastest resp time 2ms, others 5ms)

- LG W2452TTF

- Dell E248WFP (f700es, is this monitor better than what I listed above?)

Which one would you choose?

Is the glossy screen much better than matte?

Or is it better to use faster response time like Acer has?

Thanks for your opinion,

The Dell is probably not as good as the Acer. Out of that list if matching monitor and box did not matter I would probably get the Acer. I have the high end Dell 24" LCD at work and it is nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just want to give an update with the monitor that I ended up with:

ACER P243Waid Black Screen

- 24" LCD

- Glossy screen

- 1900x1200

- 2ms, 3000:1

- VGA, DVI, HDMI.

- 3yr manuf. warranty

I got it from Tiger Direct. They give a better return policy than Newegg. Their warranty is 0 dead pixel and 30 days return for any reason.

So far it's been great. The monitor is very bright and very user friendly. The auto adjust works flawlessly. It also has user preset so we can preset for different purpose: CAD, internet, photography.

I was going to get HP w2408 but it's lacking DVI port and only 5ms.

At the end, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Thanks to everybody here who had been a great help.

Cheers,

• 3 months later...

Ok folks, when buying a LCD flat panel monitor what should I look for before buying one? Is a TFT display good? I need one that works well for computer games. Preferably a 17" LCD monitor is good. How good should the refresh rate be? How much should I be willing to spend? Should I buy it online? Please response me. Thank you so much in advance for any help.

17" Gaming monitor?

I'll be straight with you - whether it's for gaming or CAD work I wouldn't recommend going below 20".

Just a quick heads up for you - when asking a new question it's best to start a new thread, that way you may get a better response, if you tak it on to an old thread people may think it's a continuation of that one and not realise its a completely new question. :thumbsup:

I think you might want to go bigger than 17" especially for gaming. Unless you're planning to have dual monitor.

For gaming, I don't think you need an expensive panel. That's only if you deal a lot with color like in photography or graphic industry.

As long as you have a decent refresh rate ( 5ms/sec or faster) it should be fine. Look at the monitor that I got (Acer P243w). It's an amazing monitor for the price. Newegg has is on sale right now for around $319.

Just make sure you have a good dedicated graphic card to match your screen resolution. The higher your screen native resolution is the heavier job your graphic card will have to do.

Ok folks, when buying a LCD flat panel monitor what should I look for before buying one? Is a TFT display good? I need one that works well for computer games. Preferably a 17" LCD monitor is good. How good should the refresh rate be? How much should

I be willing to spend? Should I buy it online? Please response me. Thank you so much in advance for any help.

• 9 months later...
I use a 24" main and a 20" secondary. So I concur with the 2 monitor option if you can swing it. I have a budget Dell 22" at home and it is great! Less than $300 US dollars if I recall correctly.

Check Dell's refurbished LCD TV/Monitors.

Most have picture in picture and picture by picture.

Mine is hooked both to the cable (TV) and the PC.

Look like new, warranty is new.

Less expensive than new, usually a substantial savings.

My mother in law purchased a Sanyo 26" LCD TV/Monitor for $268.00 US$ at Walmart (:glare:) a couple of weeks ago. The TV works and looks excellent. I haven't tried to hook my laptop, just to see, to the LCD.

carolin:

There is no reason to be viewing a monitor that closely (12"). Perhaps you need 1) a larger monitor and/or 2) a better graphics card.

Or, perhaps prescription glasses :geek: ?

I'm 'bout three feet from my LCD monitor, 36" wall mounted, tilt 'n swivel.

I don't even get 12" or closer to my Thinkpad™ laptop screens, more like 20".

Can viewing an LCD monitor from too close be hazardous to your health?I sometimes pull the monitor to approximately 12" or 31 cm away from my face to see better detail in games. Is there anything wrong with this?

I would have to say yes 31 cm away is a bit close. I would go with glasses, seriously! if you have to be that close it wouldn't matter what size the monitor is. Your eyes will still be focusing the same

• 2 months later...