3D Objects to Cabnetware 8.0

kellenhaskell

Hi, i work for a cabnet company in st. george, utah. I do most of my design work on cabnetware but i'm also very fluent with autocad.

My problem, supposively cabnetware will import a .dxf file for 3d objects. I drew up some corbles that are going on a kitchen island. The drawing on autocad is just one object, ive saved it as a .dxf and tried to open it in cabnetware and am getting an error that says "Could not get 3D object size from DXF->WRL file"

So i guess what im asking is if there is anyone that knows both programs and can help me. Im probably not posting in the right forum but im gonna do both.

Ive even gone to sites that have objects for cabnet ware, that are saved as .dxfs, and they work but i cant get any of my drawings from autocad.

Someone please help :) !!

It still gives me the same error message when importing to Cabnetware. We got this file to our CNC program (alphacam i believe) this morning and are working on that aspect but still can't show it in cabnetware. Would really like to so that we can show customers but not absolutely neccasary. And theres no way im going to draw this up in cabnetware CAD because ya, anyone who has used AutoCAD for a couple years than tries to draw with Cabnetware's generic program can understand the headache i would get. Thank you for the help though!! I'm still trying so if anyone figures out anything that would really help :)

Hmmm, I wonder if Cabinetware will only read dxf of wireframe or surfaces and not solids. You might experiment with that next.

I would forget about your original drawing for the test as there is additional stuff in there that I had to get rid of for the file I posted.

Simply create three lines going in xyz directions and test that.

If it works then the program will open 3d wireframes.

The create a simple surface like rulesurf and test that.

While your at it you might also tests a 3dface.

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY i feel like ive made some progress. So i looked at the dxf files for the 3d objects already in cabnetware trying to see what the difference is between theres and mine. I noticed that the 3d objects they had were actually "Polyface Mesh's". So i took my old drawing and tossed it. I redrew the outline of the corble with a Polyline than used the TABSURF command to make it 1" thick. I Saved it as a .dxf, moved it to the right folder, and imported it into cabnetware without a problem. Well except for one. When i used TABSURF all it did was make a 3D outline of my corble (ill attach pics to explain) I need a full object with all faces on it. I guess my question now is if anyone has experience making 3d MESH objects rather than just extruding and subtracting. I've never modeled with Mesh so its a bit overwhelming right now. So if someone could help me out on how to get my 3d mesh object now to look like my old 3d object

What i have right now (3d mesh using TABSURF)(left is autocad right is cabnetware)

current.jpg

my old corble that i made using extrude subtract etc...

old.jpg

Oh baby i got it haha so i found this program on the internet that is specfic to convert solids into meshs, Just downloaded it, paid for it, and let it do its thing. Converted the old corble i drew and worked perfect!! THANK YOU for the help and hopefully the dirty work ive done will maybe help someone else out too! Heres an idea of what i was doing

kitchenwithcorbles.jpg

and in color (the render texture needs to be played with...i just selected a dark cherry to see if it worked)

kitchenwithcorblescolor.jpg

Now i can finally start drawing in all our custom hoods, corbles . . etc :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello kellenhaskell,

So what program did you find to convert the file into a useable file for Cabnetware? I have trying to get this to work myself and have been having issues with it. I have been getting Enkobll drawings and trying to convert them but it does not work. Please let me know. I also am looking for Cabnetware objects from other places but have had no luck. Hope you can help on these issues.

Thank you,

Hugh Simmons

Oh baby i got it haha so i found this program on the internet that is specfic to convert solids into meshs, Just downloaded it, paid for it, and let it do its thing. Converted the old corble i drew and worked perfect!! THANK YOU for the help and hopefully the dirty work ive done will maybe help someone else out too! Heres an idea of what i was doing

kitchenwithcorbles.jpg

and in color (the render texture needs to be played with...i just selected a dark cherry to see if it worked)

kitchenwithcorblescolor.jpg

Now i can finally start drawing in all our custom hoods, corbles . . etc :)

autocad07 has surfaces to solid and solid to surface commands under the Tools menu i believe.

To make surfaces all you really need are guide lines. i would try the surface-solids option that acad07 has. let me know if you cant find it.

HUGHSKI,

I have been using cabinet vision (close to cabnetware, both owned by Planit and will probably be the same thing a few years from now) for about 10 years which I have used the 3dsout command in autocad to transform a solid into a wire mesh for free that can be imported into the cabinet programs.

Autocad used to have it in the versions before 2007 I believe but now with the later versions of autocad you have to load it into autocad. Here is a link to the utility from autodesk.

I can't post a link but do a search on google or yahoo and type in

"Autodesk 3DSOUT Command" and go to usa.autodesk_com link yahoo pops it up as number one.

So what they have told us we have to do to create a dxf file that will import is this, after loading the utility following the instructions on the link above.

use the 3Dsout command and select the solid object

save the file somewhere where you can find it easily, a dialog box will pop up and I just leave all the defaults.

I then delete the solid object to get it out of the way (make sure its saved somewhere)

then import the 3ds file back into autocad by using the 3Dsin command which is a part of the same utility. type the 3Dsin command then select the file you just created. Another dialog box will pop up during import, just leave the defaults but click on the "add all" button then select okay.

the new object you just imported is a wire mesh model. Now you can dxfout or save as the dxf which works for importing into Cabinet Vision and Cabnetware.

may be a day late and a dollar short but its just another option.

Later,

Doug

• 3 years later...

Isn't it amazing what a simple Internet search will turn up?

CABNETWARE

http://www.cabnetware.com/

CABINET VISION

http://www.cabinetvision.com/

To convert solids to mesh one can use the 3DSOUT and 3DSIN commands found in AutoCAD 2007 and 2008 I believe.

Another option for AutoCAD 2011 and 2012 users is the Sol2Mesh utility found at http://www.cadstudio.cz/en/download.asp?file=Sol2Mesh

Something I found in AutoCAD Help. Probably not an option in AutoCAD 2005. Time for an upgrade?

Convert solids, surfaces, and legacy mesh types to mesh objects.

You can use the MESHSMOOTH command to convert certain objects to mesh.

Last one.

meshout.lsp

http://www.accustudio.com/data/marketplace/free/meshout.lspYou do know how to load and run a lisp routine right?

OK...that's it. Now it's all up to you.

I do appreciate the reply, just fyi I did a search online didnt find anything, thats why I asked you. and I like 2005 hope you have a better day