How to adjust UCS, Swapping X with Y

ongx2

As default, UCS is set to X = 0 degree and Y = 90 degree, and Z = height. However, when I import some drawings into other 3D application, sometimes it will appear X = 90 degree and Y = 0 degree with Z remain the same.

Therefore, there is the need for me to adjust the UCS in autocad before import them into other program. How do i swap X with Y in 3D view? In order to get the UCS X = 90 degree, Y = 0 degree and Z remain the same as height.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :D Will be posting an image if you do not understanding what I am trying to explain. :roll:

yeah, ongx2, I'm having a little trouble imagining the problem. But if you need to rotate the ucs around the z axis. The command is UCS, then hit "z" to select a new orientation.

For exporting it to another program, hmm... I bet it exports the drawing based on the "world" ucs. To change your part relative to the world ucs, I would try the 3drotate command.

Again, not sure if that's what you're looking for. Let me know if you get it figured out.

Cheers

Try this..

If you go to TOOLS / DRAFTING SETTINGS / and select the tab called DYNAMIC INPUT then POINTER... Make sure your co ordinates are set to POLAR FORMAT and RELATIVE COORDINATES... If it set to cartesian plane or absolute coordinates, then your X axis will be 90 degrees.. Try it..

From the command line.

Command: UCS

Current ucs name: *WORLD*

Specify origin of UCS or [Face/NAmed/OBject/Previous/View/World/X/Y/Z/ZAxis]

: Z

Specify rotation angle about Z axis :90

Here you are rotating your UCS (with Z axis as your base point) 90 Degrees. This should get the effect that you want.

I know nothing about 3D viewing, but I had a little play with View, 3Dviews, Viewpoint and this appeared. I think the Z axis is dotted because you are viewing from underneath.

UCSicon.jpg

Here is an image i made, is it possible to adjust UCS into that way? :huh: The X and Y are both 0 degree and 90 degree.

What you are describing is a Left-Hand coordinate system. The default in ACAD is right-handed and I don't know of any way to change that.

Interestingly though, typing "left hand" into the ACAD help file returns the UCS as the highest hit.

you can change the position of the ucs using the "ucs " command , when prompted to specify the origin of the ucs enter "3" for you to specify the position of the x and the y coordinate...

that's it ...

Oh....u mean using the 3point? yea i tried before but the Z will turn downward instead of upward...All the existing Z value will become negative (-)Z....

you can change also the position of the z axis using the ucs command, turning it to position upward. . .

Doing so (when I tried it just now) flips the X and Y axes.

I really don't think you can make AutoCAD give you a LH Coordinate System. Possibly with a lisp, but I wouldn't count on it.

Yea siatong I have tried your idea and it seem doesnt work lol.

Maybe I have to re-explain my question.

In some cases, when I export Cad drawing to other application, all my X coordinates will be swapped with Y coordinates, results in appearing a different drawing.

Therefore, I need to swap all my X coordinates with Y coordinates in Autocad again and export my drawing to other application..

Is there a common method to overcome this type of problem?

That is how my boss describe the problem to me :/ He ask me to learn how to overcome it before I face this problem lol.

Now ... there MIGHT be a lisp or VBA out there that can do that actually (switching X coords with Y coords for every point), but I neither know how to write it (working on that though) or know if there's one already in existence.

My question is, why do you have a program that works in a LH Coordinate system? It may be easier to go into that program and see if you can change the UCS in it.

Thanks...

My boss just ask me to figure out the solution first about the problem...Haven't met this problem yet at the moment...I think the program he mentioning was "Ship Constructor" software...or Rhino maybe...

It is ok hopefully I can fix the problem myself in the future when it comes. :D

Hoozin is correct, AutocAD is right hand UCS . There isn't a work around for construction in AutoCAD but you can rotate an INSERT or DFXIN.

A lot of true 3D apps are left hand, a few are right hand ( Vue ). It can make for a difficult transition in thinking. Extruding in LH apps changes the Y axis not the Z. I personally didn't adapt well, so I stuck with acad. -David

RH-XYZ.jpg

Thanks...

My boss just ask me to figure out the solution first about the problem...Haven't met this problem yet at the moment...I think the program he mentioning was "Ship Constructor" software...or Rhino maybe...

It is ok hopefully I can fix the problem myself in the future when it comes. :D

Probably Rhino since ShipConstructor runs inside of AutoCAD. It's less it's own program and more a souped up NA/ME Vertical App with about 12 different major components.

I see...Cool David on the pic u made, it make me understand more on right hand rule lol :)

Thanks all of you for the concern, have a nice day :D