Large Scale Modeling, running into problems.

truant

Hi there,

I have modeled a trench that caries cable, in the detail it is just 1 section, 120" long, and not that detailed just showing open sections on the bottom and 60" lids.

It looks great by it self and I have tried all the differnt shade modes.

The problem comes when I am replacing the current 2d layout with my model. I put several in, say 15-16 in a row then the computer starts running very slow and the shademodes are not making sense, hiden lines are visble when there not supposed to be, and in a solid shademode you can see weird jaggys, (hard to explain)

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

trench.jpg

trench2.jpg

It would help if you posted the specs on your computer (CPU type and speed, amount of RAM, video card specs).

Is this the first 3D solids model you have worked with?

How large is the file size?

The entire plant I am working on is modeled in 3d, but the cad coordinater is on holidays and I have no one to ask what the problem is. I am very new to 3d modeling.

There is other models much more complex that seem to work fine and there is no slow down when looking at them.

Computer has 2 gigs ram, a intel core duo 2.33GHZ, and the video card is nvidia quadro fx 570

Yes I tried purging.

But I take back the slow down part, I opened another drawing modeled by a more experianced desginer and it also experiances slow down when not in a 2d shademode.

Though there is slow down, his model looks fine in the other shademodes when mine does not.

So ignore the slow down, im sure its just a computer limitation.

Well, 2GB is a little on the light side. One would think the Quadro 570 card would offset that a bit. Hardware acceleration is enabled?

What OS are you running?

Any other programs running in the background (antivirus, MS Office, etc.)?

I believe 2GB is the minimum requirement for 3D in Autocad. You might want to throw another 1GB in there. A faster processor would also help. Also, as Remark suggested, close all other applications that you may have running. Your other option would be to switch to 2D wireframe before Orbiting your View. Then, once you have your View set, switch back to Conceptual or Realistic.