xref pathing confusion

kevinj45

As stated recently in another thread, I have unhappily upgraded to Mechanical 2008.

I have xrefs coming in from other directories, and other people will have to access these across our LAN from other workstations. The network drive is not always necessarily going to be assigned the same drive letter on every workstation.

The way we've gotten around this in the past is this:

You could navigate through other directories using the xref dialog box, and saving paths to said xrefs by using the old DOS commands .. and /.

A typical path to these xrefs would look like : ../../mech/5495/abc.

Question is, now that this new xref dialog box has been created, and you can no longer manually override the saved xref location, how are we expected to use this tool, and how can you save xref paths that are not in the same current directory.

Thanks.

Not sure about your last question but you should find that although a network directory is assigned a letter such as J:\ (which can be different from PC to PC) it will have an absolute directory location such as \ \Server001\ ...the location of which can be found in My Network Places in your explorer or read off the Map Network Drive dialogue under my computer... this should not change regardless of how the PC has been set up.

Not sure about your last question but you should find that although a network directory is assigned a letter such as J:\ (which can be different from PC to PC) it will have an absolute directory location such as \ \Server001\ ...the location of which can be found in My Network Places in your explorer or read off the Map Network Drive dialogue under my computer... this should not change regardless of how the PC has been set up.

This is true, I have that information, and what you say could work.... But you cannot manually override the path to put that information in their.

This is true, I have that information, and what you say could work.... But you cannot manually override the path to put that information in their.

to overwrite the path manually old way, type 'classicxref' at the commnad line. it will bring back the old xref mangaer in which you can do stuff old way. you can set up alias 'cxr' for it or modify the exisitng alias from

xr _ xref to xr_classic xref

in your pgp file so no need to type the whole command everytime.

p.s. hey Hedgehog,

seems you been away for about six months:shock:

welcome back mate