Xfrog Tree Issues

cad_student

Hi All,

I have downloaded the free xfrog trees from autodesk seek today,And great quality they are too smile.gif. My particular issue with these tree's however are the fact that for me they seem to import as one un-groupable object confused.gif,So i have to use the modify/vertex option to seperate the bark from the leaf,Basicly when i add my leaf map the whole tree becomes leafy including the trunk/branches and vice versa with the bark map as the tree is one un-seperable object.

When i import the tree into max i use file>merge,Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not,but it's my only option as import will not work,I am using the .3DS format for import.Please can someone put me on the right track, i would be most gratefull (then maybe i can get some sleep tonight frown.gif ) Many thank's in advance!!!.

I'm sorry no one's answered you on this, but I don't even know what the heck an xfrog is!!

Guys? Any "luminous beings" or "super members" got answers on this one?

Xfrog is a plug-in for programs like Max and Maya that allows you to add landscape items to your scenes. I use Vue for creating landscapes, so I can't really offer any advice on this topic other than to say, watch your poly count. Xfrog plants and trees are very expensive when it comes to poly's. A single tree can contain over 150,000 poly's or more! :o

I'm sorry no one's answered you on this' date=' but I don't even know what the heck an xfrog is!!

Guys? Any "luminous beings" or "super members" got answers on this one?[/quote']

Exellent !!! :) :D Many thank's,I have now sorted my troubles with xfrog trees now,Apparently the free one's on autodesk seek dont work to well with early versions of max (ver 9 and above is best) .

Xfrog is a plug-in for programs like Max and Maya that allows you to add landscape items to your scenes. I use Vue for creating landscapes, so I can't really offer any advice on this topic other than to say, watch your poly count. Xfrog plants and trees are very expensive when it comes to poly's. A single tree can contain over 150,000 poly's or more! :o

Hi, I would like to try vue but i'm put off by the aledged watermarkings on the trial/free version,Is this true???.As for the poly count on the xfrog tree's i have seen that xfrog offer a way to trim that count right down by removing certain branches that you dont see,They are currently on autodesk seek offering 100 free plant and tree's,i have to tinker around a bit with mine but they are exellent quality as all mapping is done and textures are provided.If anyone want's the link let me know.

I would like to try vue but i'm put off by the aledged watermarkings on the trial/free version,Is this true???

Yes, the personal learning edition does contain a watermark on rendered images, but it never expires. You can use it for as long as you want in order to fully understand the program and decide whether it will benefit you or not. This is how all trial software should be offered. 30 days is just not long enough to get acquainted with a program and make an educated decision as to whether you should buy it or not.

The PLE is for personal, non-commercial use only, files cannot be exchanged with other PLE users and are not compatible with other versions of Vue, renders may be watermarked and carry a logo.

• 1 year later...
Exellent !!! :) :D Many thank's,I have now sorted my troubles with xfrog trees now,Apparently the free one's on autodesk seek dont work to well with early versions of max (ver 9 and above is best) .

Can you share your solution? I'm having the same issue but there are no materials in the material editor when the tree is opened in max.

That's normal. Just click the little Eyedropper and then click on the tree to load it's materials into the editor.

Oh, man. Thanks a ton. As you prolly have worked out modeling is not my primary craft. I'm the architect that sometimes models. Thanks again.

C

So what's a good solution for inserting trees into photoreal scene?

Max's AEC trees are good enough when textured for my purposes but there's not enough of them.

Needs to be suitable for animation, business use and minimal cost.