Materials

joes

Hi I am new to solidworks and wandered if any1 could solve this problem.

I have an object drawn up that I want to run a simulation study on. To run the study I have to apply a material, the problem is the object is made up of two different materials (one sandwich in between the other).

Does any1 know if there is a way to apply 2 materials to one object?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

what version of SW are you using. Is the part drawn as two pieces?

SW09 has the capability of running the solver on composite materials including sandwich cores. I havent done this before but i know it was a new feature for 09. can you post a screen shot of the model or give us a little more info?

Hi

I am running on SW09. The structure is a dome that fits over an antenna, it will be placed up high on a yacht so would be subjected to high winds (this is what I want to run study on).

The dome itself is drawn up from just one peice but in real life it made up of a sandwich core like material.

It would be great if I could assign the sandwich core to the solidworks drawing, if this is not possible any other advice would be appreciated.

Anything else you need let me know.

Thanks again

Thanks for your help. looking at though in order to assign the sandwich material i will need to break it down into 3 different segments.

well if its not modeled properly the stress analysis will be useless to you. can you post a model or a screen shot of it so we can help you break it down?

which version are you using for your simulation? the Express version i do not believe will let you analyze composites, you need the full version. The Express version does have GRP materials though.

Thankyou for your help yesterday after looking back over the attachment you sent i found my answer.

All I had to do was offset a surface or offset a surface mid plane.