A problem with locking zoom/pan with a background

BenGoble

Hello!

I'm trying to model a Charles Eames chair but I'm having difficulty setting up the background image schematics. I've set up one fine. But the front view schematic is causing me problems in that I align it within the viewport...

Problem with zoompan lock1.jpg

and then alt+B and choose lock zoom/pan and then press ok...

Problem with zoompan lock2.jpg

and the schematic then suddenly jumps a distance from where I aligned it to!.

Problem with zoompan lock3.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the heck is happening here???

Any help would be much appreaciated as I'm currently banging my head against a wall! :cry: lol

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hi Ben

I am currently having the same problem as you, have you found a solution to this problem? I have tried various forums to no avail...

Sadly no, I never did find a solution. The alternative way is to use a plane that you apply your background image to. Obviously by making the plane proportional to the image you want to be to scale this means you can work around the problem. I would still like to know why that feature doesn't seem to work properly though!

The alternative way is to use a plane that you apply your background image to.

That's a much better way to do it anyway, IMO. When you apply your images to planes you have complete control over scale and alignment. When you insert images as a background it's going to be difficult to get things aligned and to the correct scale because the image is just going to attempt to fill your viewport, whatever size or shape that viewport may be. My advice is to stick with image planes.

Having said that, I don't know why you're experiencing that jumping problem when you try to lock zoom/pan. :unsure: