Can anyone recomend some aerial image stitching software?

Mr.Alex

As above; does anyone have any suggestions?

Occasionaly I like to stitch together several aerial images for inserting into AutoCAD. Currently I make sure the images overlap a fair amount, and then used Photoshop to manually 'stitch' the photos together.

I'm thinking there might be a better way of doing this? I've used some impresive software in the past to stitch together panoramic photographs. Could something like this be used?

Thanks,

Alex

If the final image needs to be 100% true and precise, then I think doing it manually in Photoshop is probably the best way. You don't really want a piece of software making decisions on how to stitch the photos together. The outcome may not be accurate.

Panorama stitching software stitches images shot from a fixed position. But aerial photos are taken from moving camera positions, so I don't know how well the software would handle these types of photos.

But having said that, you might want to check out PTGUI. They have a 30 day trial version, so you can decide if it will work for you.

Very good point, thank you; I wouldn't want the image distorted. Shame there isn't anything out there specifically for the job, but perhaps it isn't that common a problem.

Thanks,

Alex

• 1 month later...

I used to have to align up some of the nine inch square photos they use in aerial photography. Think we used some sort of elevated viewer placed directly upon each photograph. After aligned therein, then using a pin, would stab through two prints, to precise distances (and coordinates). Then scan and use some sort of software that enabled one image on top of another and align the two holes up (and save-as...). Then set the rotated and scale ratio. Took about 1/2 hour each print, but worked. Their system, not mine.

Wm.

Later on got to thinging the holes for the pins were quick ways of rotating and scaling the images one to another. The firm I was at is now out of business so do not know the name to the software. But the software vendors expanded it to allow scanned maps (of Mega-Mags) to be a part of the routine now, and think that is their selling point now.

Wm.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I created a mosaic with 50 aerial images from Google Earth and I want to stitch together.

I used the Plex.Earth Tools for AutoCAD plug-in from Plexscape.

It took me 15 minutes to create it and I dont want to spend 2 days for manual stitching.

Any suggestion?