AutoCAD 2008 repair/ uninstall problem?

jl9r

Hi there,

I recently had a drawing crash that appeared to corrupt the whole file of my drawings. When i tried to open the drawings from document recovery manager, i.e. dwg, recovery, autosave, bak, etc, the preview appears OK but when the drawing opens it says 'Subtype use-count error.' and most of the 3D solids are not loaded. I then cannot do anything with the drawing and when I try to save it opens an error message saying 'error writing/closing file'.

I resigned to the fact that as all the versions in that particular folder were corrupt, it might be an AutoCAD problem and thought I could insert the disc and repair. When I tried I got an error message (see attached - Acad Disc Load) and it failed.

I then thought I would uninstall and start again - but again it displayed and error message and failed (see attached - Acad uninstall).

I can still use AutoCAD and have managed to redraw my original drawings, although it took a long time. Does anyone know:-

- Why I can preview the drawings but I get that error message when I try to open?

- What I should do to resolve the repair/ uninstall problem?

My next option would be to format the hard drive and start again...but obviously I don't want to do that. My AutoCAD obviously has problems and I don't want to risk this sort of crash again.

John

Acad Disc Load.jpg

Acad uninstall.JPG

What is this "patch package" mentioned in the error message? Did you try to load an update, or a hot fix for AutoCAD itself or did you try to "patch" a problem with an add-on program?

No idea what 'patch package' meant, thats why I thought something must be corrupt in the registry or with the installation and trying a repair or reinstall would fix it.

I don't have a subscription and must admit I find the whole 'Autodesk World' confusing to say the least....:? I wouldn't even know where to look for a download, although I tried searching the 'Subtype use-count error' message and got nowhere.

My saved drawings were across a network to a server, but yesterday I was saving everything to a local flash drive as well and one of those drawings has also come up with the same errors when trying to load.

After loading 2008 did you also load the service pack?

Is AutoCAD loaded locally on your workstation or as part of a network deployment?

I'm suspicious to the reference in the error message re: acad.msi file.

So up until this suspect drawing "crashed" you were experiencing no problems? Did you make any hardware or software changes prior to the problem?

Is your the only CAD station in the office?

Service Pack 1 is loaded but couldn't tell you when or if it was part of the disc.

AutoCAD is installed onto my computer locally and is a full version single user licence. No problems prior to this event and no other AutoCAD full versions but one other 2009LT. We tried to open with that and all opened ok but obviously 2D only.

Service packs are downloaded directly from the AutoDesk website.

Did you try to use the RECOVER or AUDIT commands on one of the corrupted drawings?

You don't suspect any hard drive problems? No other programs giving you problems? Does the computer boot up in the normal manner?

I have just completed a disc error check and didn't think it reported any problems - but tried to open a thought corrupt drawing and it opened OK...?

I had tried recover command yesterday and it opened the text window with 'error 150' and something about 'object discarded' over and over again. I tried recover and audit today and all ok and open correct.

Tried the installation repair again though and it still fails.

Still not convinced about my AutoCAD installation and don't trust it so would like to resolve to a repair or reinstallation. It might still be that I have to format and start again...!

Scrub last post - tried to open another thought corrupt drawing and it has failed again.....

I have run recover and here is just a few lines as a sample of the text over and over...

(audit says database OK)

Modeling Operation Error:

Access violation.

Reading handle F5D object type AcDb3dSolid

Error 150 (eGeneralModelingFailure) Object discarded

Access violation.

Reading handle F60 object type AcDb3dSolid

Access violation.

Reading handle F61 object type AcDb3dSolid

Access violation.

Reading handle F76 object type AcDb3dSolid

.....etc, etc

If you do a complete uninstall and reinstallation look in the Useful Links forum. I posted a link to the AutoDesk website where you'll find an article on how to go about doing a proper uninstall. It might help.