Problem with scaling objects

Command: Manick

I am working on a face of a body mesh that needs its vertices welded down the middle. The problem is, that there are vertices very close together near the mouth region which I do not want to be welded at all, but are so close to their neighbors that they are within range of even .002cm which is the lowest I can go. So I figured that it would be a good idea to scale up the face, weld it, then scale it back down. No big deal right? Suprisingly, it is.

When I (global) scaled up the face, then made a clone of it, the cloned face came in at normal scale. Then to make matters worse, it would not let me global scale the cloned face. I tried a couple of other methods I was sure would work but for some reason it still won't cooperate. How can I do this?

Forget about scaling and welding. There is an easier way.

1. Make sure your head is sitting at X0 Y0

2. Make sure your Gizmo is sitting at X0 Y0, (Center of the head)

3. Select all of the poly's on one half of the head and then hit delete

4. Make sure all the vertices that run down the middle of the head are sitting at X0

5. Apply a Symmetry modifier > Uncheck "Slice Along Mirror" > Check "Weld Seam" > Adjust your "Mirror Axis" accordingly

6. Convert to Editable Poly

Forget about scaling and welding. There is an easier way.

1. Make sure your head is sitting at X0 Y0

2. Make sure your Gizmo is sitting at X0 Y0, (Center of the head)

3. Select all of the poly's on one half of the head and then hit delete

4. Make sure all the vertices that run down the middle of the head are sitting at X0

5. Apply a Symmetry modifier > Uncheck "Slice Along Mirror" > Check "Weld Seam" > Adjust your "Mirror Axis" accordingly

6. Convert to Editable Poly

Well, the whole reason I am doing this is not just so I won't accidentally weld vertices that are close together, but also so I can skin wrap the head with the cloned head and give it a new valid skin. The mouth region is especially a concern because there are vertices from the faces of the top lip that are on the exact same coordinate as vertices from the faces of the bottom lip. So if I skin wrap it just like it is, Then the mouth won't animate properly because the bones for the top lip will be pulling on vertices for the bottom lip if its rotated, and vice versa.

Having said all that, if I follow those steps, I will lose my skin if I turn it into an editable poly. And even if I make a clone of the head before deleting half of the original so I can skin wrap it later, I'll still have the same problem with the lips animation.

Well, you lost me when you started talking about skin wrapping a cloned head. :lol: :?

I don't do animation so I'm not really the best person to offer advice on this. Have you tried posting this question on a Max forum? :unsure: