Windows 7 and AutoCAD, new update resulting in crash?

Ashaman

Hi,

I'm a student and I'm currently learning to use AutoCAD 2010. I run Windows 7 Professional on my laptop and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

This weekend, however, when I run AutoCAD it crashes all the time. Another student in my class has the same problem. He did a reset of Windows, to the time before the newest update, and everything was fine for a while. We also turned off the automatic update.

But now the problem has now reoccured.

We can run AutoCAD for about 1 minute or a bit more if we don't do anything after starting the program, but then it just shuts down. It shuts down earlier if we Open or Save files.

Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have an answare that could help us?

All help is appreciated!

- Ashaman

Edit: I ran "Update 1" and the "Startup error, HotFix" and things seems to be better now, I'll get back to you if things starts to get problematic again.

I wrote an edit in the first post while you answared.

The program was updated to "Update 1" before I did the reset of OS, but I installed it again now. Seems like it's ok. Going to run the Windows Update now, and see what happens.

You're making use of the RESTORE option in Windows right?

Yes, and I restored it to a stage before the update.

I ran the Windows Update again now, and things was working fine... until I restarted AutoCAD, the problem reoccured again.

Looks like I have to skip the update then. Until I find a way to fix the problem.

My computer is an Acer Aspier 5530:

2.0GHz AMD X2 processor

ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphic card

4GB DDR2 memory

This should be enough, I believe.

The OS and AC is 32-bit (Had problems with the 64-bit download of Win7, student version)

Something changed then. The question is what? I would tend to think it had something to do with the Win7 update.

What kind of file size (drawing) are we talking?

We thought it was the update too, since the problem occured at both PC's at the same time. I'm going to do a reset of the OS later on, and see how it goes this time. I shouldn't have updated it again. :P

File size on .dwg: 130KB

In my case that is, so nothing big really.

Seems like it's OK again...:huh:

All I have done is restarting my computer (this was about the 3rd time since updating it) and everything seems fine again.

Well, I'll just run AutoCAD from time to time and see if something occurs again.

Thank you for answaring my questions ReMark! Appreciated!

I think you'll be back just like the Terminator. See ya soon.

Indeed! :D

On Friday I had to start AC about 30 times in just one hour, because it constantly crashed!

So now I've installed WinXP in dual boot. Hehe. But I've used the three tries you have to install AC on the Student License, so I can't activate it...

My teacher said that he could speak with Autodesk Norway, he just needed my Serial and Activation Code first.

So hopefully I'll have everything running properly before the scheduled test next week... :o