Fixed Duct Location

Mad Mart

Is there a way in MEP 2010 to fix ducts (or pipes for that matter) in the position you have drawn them? What I mean by that is, when I'm fiddling at one end of a duct run to get things to coordinate, sometimes I go back to the other end of the run & some ducts have moved. I want to be able to anchor ducts so that they will not move unless I unanchor them. Similar to the 'fixed' constraint in parametrics.

No you can't lock the positions in place, but you can anchor duct to other objects or even ducts. But that only ties the duct to the object, it doesn't actually lock things in place.

I move duct around all the time and nothing ever goes wrong with me. The only thing that would ever go wrong is if I'm moving one branch of duct or pipe that is connect to a 90 or 45 fitting, and the attached duct or pipe from that fitting will move, but it's not like it's ever been that big a deal for me.

• 2 weeks later...

You can lock the elevation, but I don't think you can lock lateral movement. The fact that it does move the duct right down the run is something that I actually find incredibly useful. but would be nice to have the choice I suppose. Almost seems strange, given the amount of customisation that is in AutoCAD as a whole, that this in not an option.

• 2 weeks later...

AutoCAD MEP has its quirks. Manipulating duct becomes more efficient over time as you become more familiar with the way the software behaves. Mid-point grips and end-point grips behave differently for example. Knowing when to modify the duct to the next junction/transition, and when to modify to maintain connection helps a lot too. It is also sometimes ideal to disconnect a portion of the system before editing sizes and locations.

Steven Micaletti

Virtual Mechanical

Design Build Software & Content For AutoCAD MEP

AutoCAD MEP has its quirks. Manipulating duct becomes more efficient over time as you become more familiar with the way the software behaves. Mid-point grips and end-point grips behave differently for example. Knowing when to modify the duct to the next junction/transition, and when to modify to maintain connection helps alot. It is also sometimes ideal to disconnect a portion of the system before editing sizes and locations.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)