new laptop help

LBUG42

I'm looking to get new laptop and was wondering what should i look for for performance. Currently i have Dell Inspiron 6000 80 gig, 150 processor 2 gig ram. but it is slow when rendering quite honestly anything, have done so many clean ups nothing seems to help, does anyone have any suggestions on what i should look for?

I'm looking to get new laptop and was wondering what should i look for for performance. Currently i have Dell Inspiron 6000 80 gig, 150 processor 2 gig ram. but it is slow when rendering quite honestly anything, have done so many clean ups nothing seems to help, does anyone have any suggestions on what i should look for?

Obviously it depends on budget, but first thing is first.... start with a 64bit operating system, and max out the RAM as much as possible (minimum 4GB, anything more is better and well worth it). Other than that, make sure to grab an upgraded graphics accelerator if the budget allows for it.

What software will you be running on this new laptop?

Can't argue with Styk's logic. 64-bit, as much RAM as you can afford, and maybe even a dedicated graphics card and not a graphics chip (GPU) all sound good to me. A 7200 rpm hard drive rather than a 5400 rpm hard drive if available would be another plus.

Obviously it depends on budget, but first thing is first.... start with a 64bit operating system, and max out the RAM as much as possible (minimum 4GB, anything more is better and well worth it). Other than that, make sure to grab an upgraded graphics accelerator if the budget allows for it.

I agree wity StykFacE almost 100%.

I use XP Pro SP 3 with a 32 bit OS. Works fine.

To add, I don't dabble in 3D, strictly 2D plan and elevation views using '05 and/or '07.

I'm usin' a T60 Thinkpad™ laptop, 60 G HDD with a lowly 2G memory.

Dual core processor, Intel. 8)

My opinion?

Buy a laptop with decent storage and a good processor, but skimp on the memory upgrades. You can always buy more memory for cheaper than what dell will charge you when you are building your system...

If the minimum that you can configure is 2gb, then I guess you can get away with that and do basic 3D drafting

My opinion?

Buy a laptop with decent storage and a good processor, but skimp on the memory upgrades. You can always buy more memory for cheaper than what dell will charge you when you are building your system...

If the minimum that you can configure is 2gb, then I guess you can get away with that and do basic 3D drafting

Why "skimp" when as soon as the laptop is purchased it will be put right to use? Get a budget and get everything all at once - best choice. and 2GB of memory is what will but consumed almost instantly if you go with a 64bit OS. Good luck with that when doing 3D, especially without a stand alone graphics accelerator.

• 2 weeks later...