Acad locks up when changing colors in the layermanager

Tommy78

I'm having this problem way too much lately, when i try to change the layer colors of an xref autocad just freezes, no error messages no nothing, have to close with the task manager.

I've had it happen using the classic layer manager as well as the new one, sometimes it also crashes when i try to sort a column in the layerm.

Is this a known problem? is it a cad problem or is it related to the dodgy architectural xrefs i get here? :P

Any info would be much appreciated.

Are you current with the latest update to AutoCAD 2009?

What is the source of the architectural xrefs?

Do you have any problems with other drawings that do NOT incorporate xrefs?

Do you have any problems with other drawings that DO incorporate xrefs BUT are from a different source?

Thanks for the quick answer remark;

It is quite possible that the latest updates are not installed yet as they first have to be tested by our tech dep before they are rolled out, this takes some time.

Haven't done much testing but i believe the problem only occurs with xrefs, i rarely or never work on drawings without xrefs behind them.

Well, i work at a large bureau and the xrefs come from many different architects, some are more standards compliant than others, the lockup appears to happen randomly as i sometimes have no problem with a certain plan an when i try to do the same thing again later on the same plan it locks up.

Tell your techs to get off their collective butts and install the updates. The updates FIX problems and rarely does one ever hear of an update causing furhter problems (unlike Microsoft updates).

To check what you have loaded type ABOUT at the command line then press Enter. Then in the window that comes up click on the Product Information button. The next window will tell you everything about the version of AutoCAD you are running.

Do some of these Xrefs come with their own overly stuffed scalelist?

Have you tried Purging any of these troublesome drawings?

I'm running this version:

AutoCAD 2009 - English Version 3.1

Asked one of the techs yesterday to pretty please install the updates, will see how that goes :).

I always purge my own drawings but in theory i'm not allowed to make changes to the architectural drawings, not that that ever stopped me from changing their frikkin blocks to "bylayer" ;).

Also went to one of the architects to clean up the drawing, we did an audit (about 30 errors) and a purge but nothing helps.

There are about 30 scales in the xref and another thing i just noticed is that when i open my drawing i get a popup that says:

proxy information:

The drawing you have opened contains custom objects created by an unavailable objectARX application...

something created with autodesk civil 3D

I had these popups before but i think they're not related to the layer problems.