Layer Manager button repeats the last command

CJJ

I have a user who is working with AutoCAD '08 Land Desktop Companion on Windows XP.

When he clicks the Layer Properties button on the Layers toolbar, it repeats the last command issued instead of issueing a "_layer" command. Also, it seems to be issuing the command and then pressing enter. For example, if the last command was Options, then it will open the options menu twice. If the last command was Line, then it will start a line from the last point, just as if you had issued a Line command then pressed enter.

I've looked through his CUI settings and as far as I can tell he hasn't been messing with anything, and it doesn't look to me like he has set up an alias for "Layer" or "-layer" that could be causing a conflict.

Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've done some more testing and it's happening on AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 also.

Looking through the CUI for the Layers menu, here is the macro associated with the command:

$M=$(if,$(and,$(>,$(getvar,LayerManagerState),0)),^C^C'_LayerClose,^C^C'_Layer)

I'm not entirely sure what it's trying to do, but you're saying i should just replace that with ^C^C'_Layer and I should be good to go?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've done some more testing and it's happening on AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 also.

Looking through the CUI for the Layers menu, here is the macro associated with the command:

$M=$(if,$(and,$(>,$(getvar,LayerManagerState),0)),^C^C'_LayerClose,^C^C'_Layer)

I'm not entirely sure what it's trying to do, but you're saying i should just replace that with ^C^C'_Layer and I should be good to go?

He can't have LayerManagerState, etc. if he's using 2008. That wasn't introduced until 09.

He has both. We recently installed 2009 on his PC, but he's still going to primarily be using 2008 for most existing projects. I'm wondering if we overwrote his '08 settings when we installed '09...

Thanks for your insight.

He has both. We recently installed 2009 on his PC, but he's still going to primarily be using 2008 for most existing projects. I'm wondering if we overwrote his '08 settings when we installed '09...

Thanks for your insight.

Highly unlikely, but anything is possible....especially when using a Windohs platform. :wink:

If it has all the bologna from your post, replace it with what I posted and give it a try.

Our CAD manager had hosted most of those files on network drives, plus we have a few enterprise-level CUI files in addition to the user ones. Our CAD manager has since been downsized and we don't have anyone who knows what he had done, so there's really no telling what's going on. I'm pretty sure this is just the tip of the iceberg and that there will be a host of other issues just like it. I'll probably just reinstall AutoCAD for the user. Thanks again for your help.

Our CAD manager had hosted most of those files on network drives, plus we have a few enterprise-level CUI files in addition to the user ones. Our CAD manager has since been downsized and we don't have anyone who knows what he had done, so there's really no telling what's going on. I'm pretty sure this is just the tip of the iceberg and that there will be a host of other issues just like it. I'll probably just reinstall AutoCAD for the user. Thanks again for your help.

Try replacing the text within the button first. Might save you a lot of work.

Thanks again alanjt, your responses helped me get to the bottom of this issue. Just a follow up in case anyone else has similar problems in the future...

AutoCAD had been looking at a partial CUI file that was coming from a network server, not stored locally. I think our previous CAD manager had updated this ACAD.CUI file when he rolled out 2009, not knowing that it would break commands in the previous versions. I have separated out the CUIs now so that each version looks in a different directory. I haven't found any other commands that changed from '08 to '09, but just be aware that you need to be very careful if you're trying to use one CUI file for different versions of the product.

Thanks again alanjt, your responses helped me get to the bottom of this issue. Just a follow up in case anyone else has similar problems in the future...

AutoCAD had been looking at a partial CUI file that was coming from a network server, not stored locally. I think our previous CAD manager had updated this ACAD.CUI file when he rolled out 2009, not knowing that it would break commands in the previous versions. I have separated out the CUIs now so that each version looks in a different directory. I haven't found any other commands that changed from '08 to '09, but just be aware that you need to be very careful if you're trying to use one CUI file for different versions of the product.

Glad you got it sorted. :) Good luck.