Speed=?+?

Currahee

What makes speed in 3d CAD work? Is it Processor, memory, video ram or video processor?

Info below doesnt tell you what my video is but you can find it to your left. Does it mean more to have more video memory or better video processor

Sytem info:

System Name ASUS

System Manufacturer System manufacturer

System Model System Product Name

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~3013 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0307, 6/18/2008

User Name ASUS\Bearcreek

Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB

The processor speed and the system bus are, in my opinion, the two most important factors, followed by amount/speed of RAM.

Mark...I am still trying to figure out why my 2010 is slow

I am considering goin to 1GB video but I dont know the difference in these speeds of these high-end graphics cards

I have went back to my 2006 ADT because my 2010 Architecture is so slow

XP Pro and 4GB RAM. You editted the boot.ini file for the 3GB switch?

Slow. Maybe it's a bloatware problem.

1GB graphics card. Don't buy one of the cheap ones as you'll find it won't make any difference. A good mid-range card with 512MB of vidRAM (DDR3 preferrable) would be a good choice.

Type 3DCONFIG at the command line and make sure your graphics card driver is running the most up to date Autodesk certified and/or tested driver and database file. This will help.

Also, your specs aren't that bad. Just don't run everything in a system hogging Visual Style like "Conceptual" or "3D Hidden". Use Realistic and turn off all Edge Settings and Edge Modifiers and it will run better. Also, learn to use the "Isolate Objects" tools in the right-click menu to speed up performance by working on a small bit at a time.

Other than that, search Google to speed up your system performance: things like MSCONFIG and rid all the startup, and setting up your PageFile to a 2nd drive (if available), and like Mark said the /3GB Switch to allocate more RAM if you're running a 32bit OS.

Also, Refer to This Blog about further helping AutoCAD performance.

Man, Mark me and you have answered this about a million times. You think we ought to come together and create a FAQ or Sticky thread for this, eh? :lol:

"Man, Mark me and you have answered this about a million times. You think we ought to come together and create a FAQ or Sticky thread for this, eh?"

I thought it was two million times but who's counting!:lol:

But thanks Tanner anyway for the reply...I have done all the above mentioned from u and Mark. I have one machine that is used for one purpose and one purpose only...CAD and I believe the video is slow but cant justify spending $500-$1000 unless I know this is going to cure my problem

Another problem you could be having is that your pushing 2 (two) 24" monitors with that card. Its a low end card. Try running one monitor and see if your performance improves, also try running at minimum resolution, you should see a big jump in reaction speed.

BTW, mid to high-end cards should only cost at most $200 for a nice one with 4 times the memory that card has.

Another problem you could be having is that your pushing 2 (two) 24" monitors with that card. Its a low end card. Try running one monitor and see if your performance improves, also try running at minimum resolution, you should see a big jump in reaction speed.

BTW, mid to high-end cards should only cost at most $200 for a nice one with 4 times the memory that card has.

Thanks...will try...havent thought of that having an effect

BTW.....my ESC key is also the cleanest...LOL

Thanks...will try...havent thought of that having an effect

Ouch, I didn't even realize you were running two 24" monitors. This is a huge performance factor. Think about it, your video card has probably only 256MB of RAM, or 512MB of RAM at best. So that means that your video card is doubling up on the workload, since it's splitting your video RAM to support both monitors, and since they are 24" then it's running at high resolution. The more space and/or area that your videocard has to account for, then performance will suffer. Then, throwing another monitor in the mix only burdens the tasks even more.

You should really consider a mid to high-end gaming card, or a mid level workstation graphics card. If it's for work then you should go through the proper channels and request these needs. Graphical programs only get bigger and bulkier as time goes on, thus requiring upgrades in hardware. And you're only running XP Pro, so you can only utilize up to 3GB of RAM only if you enable the /3GB Switch. You should highly consider getting a new machine running a 64bit version of Windows, with bare minimum 8GB of RAM if you're utilizing the 3D tools in AutoCAD 2010 and dual 24" monitors.

Good thing you haven't tried Revit yet, then you'd really be feeling the performance pinch. 8)

You should highly consider getting a new machine running a 64bit version of Windows, with bare minimum 8GB of RAM if you're utilizing the 3D tools in AutoCAD 2010 and dual 24" monitors.

LOL...Didnt want to hear that but knew it was coming...LOL

I mostly use my other monitor for tool bars and use the other for work...but it is still draining my system....somthing I did not consider

I mostly use my other monitor for tool bars and use the other for work...but it is still draining my system....somthing I did not consider

Thats another thing you should change, eliminate as much as you can drawing off resources, then run one monitor at minimum resolution, it should fly compared to what your used to. Bump up the resolution a little bit at a time, until you get lag. If your getting lag at bare minimum, like StykFace said, time for a new rig. :(