Upgrading to Windows 7

brown eyes

I am using AutoCAD 2008 for Vista 64 bit. If I upgrade to Windows 7 is my AutoCAD 2008 (64 bit) compatible and will it still work without having to reinstall?

Is Windows 7 a 64 or 32 bit operating system?

Thanks. I went to the site and downloaded the Windows 7 Upload Advisor. It gave me advice/compatibility on some of my other programs and devices, but there was no report for AutoCAD 2008, Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, Adobe Photoshop Premiere 7, Google Sketchup 7 or Family Tree Maker 16 - the programs I use the most. The Upload Advisor didn't even acknowledge them at all. Does anybody have any first-hand experience on whether the above programs will work without having to reinstall the software if I upgrade from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 operating system?

Are you going to Win 7 64? If so, your gonna have to troubleshoot it anyway no matter what the program. Your better off doing a fresh install of win 7 and then re-installing your programs. That way you can use the troubleshooting compatibility wizard to install your programs using windows 7 under xp sp2, vista sp2, etc. Its a lifesaver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello brown eyes,

It should work with those check below:

Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)

microsoftdotcom/windows/compatibility/en-us/defaultdotaspx

There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:

technetdotmicrosoftdotcom/en-us/windows/defaultdotaspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.

Thanks again,

John M.

Microsoft Windows Client Support