CAD on a Laptop req's (again)

Glen Smith

I'm starting to have to do more 3D work to coordinate conduit runs and junction boxes. I've crashed my Dell 4600 Desktop a couple times working with the files. I'm going to try putting the other trades files in as Xrefs in the hope that my poor machine will be better able to handle the file.

I'm lobbying for a new machine - the Powers That Be want it to be a Laptop so that I can take it home and or on the road and be able to work in the field. I'm concerned about the built in graphics card of most laptops, and the fact that our current subscription is for 32 bit. (AutoCAD Electrical). (EDIT whuups, Talked with our reseller, turns out we also have 64 bit available.)

I've looked over the similar threads regarding CAD on a laptop, but at this point I think that any current machine I get will be an improvement over what I've got.

I'm running a Dell 4600 Pentium 4 3.00 GHz with 2 G of RAM, which on the CPU Mark scale (here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/midlow_range_cpus.html ) gives me a rating of 489. I have an VisionTek Radeon X1550 Graphics Card plugged in as well. The boss has asked me to give him a list of my minimum requirements. I looked at the list on the AutoDESK web site: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13847034 which tells me that I meet the minimum requirements - even for 3d modeling.

I'm a little confused as to exactly what to ask for. I want to be able to justify my numbers rather than just asking for a complete hot rod.

Since our company uses Dell machines, I hit the Dell website and found this machine: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-studio-1555/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-1555&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~as_laptop_studio_15_1~~

It's a Quad core with a CPU mark of 3304 so it has something like 6 or 7 times more horsepower than what I've got. Anybody have any guidance for me?

Thanks in advance.

Glen

If at all possible, get it from someplace like Xi Computers or Sager Notebooks instead. Those guys know how to build CAD machines, and their prices are better than Dell's.

But if you have to go with Dell, that computer looks like it should work decently. I'd prefer a solid state drive, but those are pricey...

The thing that would worry me about that machine is the graphics card. I've been using nVidia cards for a long time, and am not so familiar with the AMD cards, but I couldn't find that card on Autodesk's list of graphics cards. The HD 4600 series is listed as a card that works with Autocad, but the HD 4500 series is not on the list. That card might still work, or it might give you lots of trouble.

Also, make sure you get Windows 7 x64 as your OS. Don't let anyone talk you into an XP downgrade.

Glen:

Looks like an excellent laptop from Dell. I've owned a few in the past but, now stick with Lenovo's Thinkpads™, never a problem and service is excellent, fast too.

Portability, I don't like the heavy and larger screens. This shoulder, that shoulder, through the airports a pain. The larger screens also seriously diminish battery time.

A bit more expensive but, I would look at the Thinkpad™ line of laptops.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=24ABE3A59126498186434450AAAFE461

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5525&review=lenovo+thinkpad+t410

I'm not a big fan of laptops that rely upon "shared memory". And while it is commendable that you would like to save your company some money, a laptop that retails for $900 will end up costing you twice that in the long run because it need replacing sooner rather than later.

You definitely want Win7 / 64-bit and as much RAM as you can possibly cram in there (8GB) and check the speed of it too. Plus a dedicated graphics card.

I'd look at:

Lenovo ThinkPad W510 ($2100)

HP dv7t Quad Edition ($1800)

Alienware M17x (thru Dell) ($2100)

All prices are approximate but each system has 8GB of RAM (miniumum of dual channel DDR3 at 1066MHz [note: 13333MHz is the fastest speed you can get]), a dedicated graphics card and Win7 at 64-bit.

I had four Thinkpad™ laptops, all were 14", I still have two. All beautiful, all ran/run Autocad '05 very well, never stall or heat up. The 14", after many larger displays, is great for travel. I gave up with my PDA's, of which I still have two. One has PocketCAD installed, I certainly prefer the Thinkpad™ larger viewing screen. Models T-41, T-42p (workstation), T-43 and the one I'm using writin' this post, T-60. I will upgrade just 'cause I feel like it.

The two Thinkpad™ laptops I gave, one to my daughter, another to a son. I still have two, one I fire up once or twice a week just to update. I no longer have a use for it; T42p, 40G HDD, 1G memory, runs AutoCAD extremely well too!

They use 'em hard! Take 'em everywhere, I shudder thinking abuse but the kids love 'em and have never had any problem whatsoever.

The Thinkpads™ come loaded with some of their own special features; i.e.: motion sensor to lock the HDD, fingerprint security (optional), WiFi, Bluetooth, Backup, etc., and much more. Even the keyboards have a built-in keyboard light for workin' in a low light area. I frequently work on my kitchen counter, late night, LCD built in TV, cable, Bose, on in the background (like Superbowl last night), no lights, working on some tank 'n piping layouts. My work and hobby for 40+ years.

I did require service on HP & Dell laptops, my opinion? Not great.

I did require service once on a Thinkpad™, resolved in one day with a new keypad delivered by DHL, fast service. I am still usin' the T-60, still within its' three year warranty.

I get 'bout four hours on the 6-cell battery. Much more than any other brand I've ever used. I had a 9-cell battery on one laptop, son has that now. Kidding, I ask him to return it, cry, cry, cry. Aw forget it keep the thing. My daughter's has a built in video camera, using Skype she chats and views with friends in Taiwan, go figure! Great!

I recently checked Craigslist, while lookin' for something else, saw these laptops like new in the $100-$300 price range, a steal. Pennsylvania>Lehigh Valley on Craigslist. XP Pro OS's and loaded with programs; i.e.: Office '07, Adobe Pro, and more! Google the Thinkpad reviews online and after reading 'em, check Craigslist.

The only item I saved from prior brand laptops were the optional leather carryin' cases I purchased, beautiful.

Sorry I'm goin' on 'bout Thinkpad™ laptops and no I don't work for Lenovo!

Did you know the Thinkpad™ is encased in a titanium roll cage! Heavy duty 'n light too!

Thanks for the responses guys. My personal laptop is a 2003 T40 Thinkpad that is still going (limping, but still running) after 6.5 years of hard use. No worries about "going on 'bout Thinkpads". We will be sticking with Dell. I did spec out the AlienWare M17X and the Boss is pushing that up the ladder - we will see what happens.

I appreciate your help.

Glen

Let's us know what you finally end up with and what the deciding factors were. Others may benefit from your feedback. Good luck. Hope you get a new 'puter soon.

We got a quote from our IT department for a machine that didn't look up to the task, so I responded with a RFQ on the M17X that ReMark pointed out. I think that was when they realized we were looking at a serious machine. IT got someone from Dell involved and I have 4 quotes in front of me now.

An M17X (as requested) $2300.

an M17X (as recommended ) $2550,

an M15X $2340,

and a XPS16 for $2074

The XPS 16 looks like a promising system. As priced it includes 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, An Intel i7 720QM 1.6GHz processor (3299 CPUMark) a 500GB drive, and the one thing I'm concerned about - an ATI mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB graphics card. This isn't a certified card, but the AutoDESK web site does list the 4600 series as "supported recommended".

Any comments from the experts before I ask for an order form on the XPS 16?

Glen

The M systems sure look cooler though.

Included in the price is a "3 year Warranty Plus At-Home Service". Plus I'll have tech support from our IT dept. We buy our PC's for our installations through Dell, so we are buying systems on a regular basis. They want to keep us happy, although we have had some support issues.

Maybe I'll get some racing stripes airbrushed on or something.

Thanks for the input.

Glen

• 1 month later...

I'm posting tonight from "my" new laptop. A Dell Studio XPS 1645. It is configured with 8GB of RAM has a i7 quad core processor and a dedicated ATI Radeon 4670 graphics card. I'm running Win 7 64 bit.

So far, (I've had it 2 days) I like it a lot. AutoCAD seems to run faster, orbits and zooms are less jerky and I can even orbit and zoom in conceptual mode, making my conduit work much easier to check.

I have had a small 3D conduit drawing and 2 different NAVIS works files open at the same time without noticeable affect on system performance. My old machine was not up to that.

The only downside that I have found so far is that it does not have docking station capability. So getting it set up in the morning and taking it home at night is not as simple as pushing a button and disconnecting it from the dock. I have not attached my monitor to it yet, but the screen that it comes with is very sharp and crisp.

Battery life appears to be somewhat limited, but given the horsepower inside, that is to be expected.

The boss naturally wants drawings to start coming out twice as fast! :shock:

Glen